Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so...our pup is 3 months old. He has seemed totally fine all day, playing and eating and drinking. Ive noticed earlier though while he was sleeping that he was breathing so loud. So like a paraniod new mom, Ive been counting his breathes per minute (while he was sleeping) and they range from 60 to 62 breaths per minute...not heartbeats but breaths. Is that normal? Why Im suddenly freaking out about this is beyond me but it just seemed like alot. I googled it and I read that 30 breaths per minute is normal so he would be twice the normal range and Im freaking out. Anyone know anything about this??? Please? Thank you!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I can't answer your question but I wanted to bump this back up so others would see it.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Also long as they are acting normal I would not be concerned. My 3 pound yorkie snores louder than the golden.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I don't know any answers...but someone may. Now I'm gonna count Tailer's breaths...

Good Luck with Puppy Fred.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Is he breathing rapidly while he is also awake? Could he be dreaming? My dog can breath funny while asleep but he is defintely dreaming when doing this.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I have just googled it and it seems a normal resting rate would be between fifteen and thirty breaths a minute...google it and see what you get. If you are concerned then I would call your vet and ask them what they think, it is worth a chat to reassure you or find out if you need to do anything further. But if hes seeming well theres obviously nothing urgent or a big worry. My dog is a very heavy panter and we thought there was something wrong with him until we spoke to other owners of pups from his litter and they thought the same about theres! So they were fine..it was just a family thing! Could be the same with your little guy!

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
This might be a stupid question, but since it's winter, is the heat on in your house? Could he be hot? I believe there also could be medical explanations for excessive panting...I would check with your vet to be sure.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sometimes Ace breaths really fast when he's sleeping. I expect that it's because he's dreaming because when I say his name he looks up and his breathing is normal. Of course, I don't wake him up on purpose now when he does it, but at the time I wanted to make sure he wasn't, you know, dying or something.

His breathing is normal every other time of the day as well. Unless his breathing is rapid throughout the day or he seems like he's in some sort of distress I personally wouldn't worry about it too much. But if you want reassurance, it's always best to consult a vet!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you everyone! He seems fine when he is awake, no panting or labored breathing. Maybe he is just dreaming! I am going to keep an eye on his breathing tonight and I'll definitley call my vet in the morning if he is still having rapid breathing all night. I appreciate all the advice and opinions!

·
Registered
270 Posts
i'd say he's probably dreaming too. (although i would talk to the vet just to be sure...) I hope he sleeps well! :D

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
two of my dogs breathe heavier and faster when sleeping. Conner is not ever allowed to sleep with me because he pants so hard he makes the bed shake!

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
One night I noticed that Brooks seemed to swallow a lot after he fell asleep. After that, whenever he was asleep I would notice how much he swallowed. It would even wake me up in the night. I took him to the vet and he couldn't find anything wrong (it was over a year ago when I first noticed it). I have finally quit worrying about it.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
You know, I thought Beamer breathed a little fast when he was young, but he stopped doing it within a couple weeks. I just attributed it to stress from being separated from his litter.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I remember watching Penny sleep and panicking too. We'd both sit there and watch her breathe SO FAST! "Do you think that's normal?" "I don't know. Do you?" "I don't know". "Should we call the vet?" "I don't know".

Then during the day she'd be fine. Nothing ever came of it!

Then, after her surgery last September, I found myself watching her breathe again and wondering if THIS was normal. I guess we'll always be worried parents.:eek:

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I am hesitant to say whether something is normal or not as this is the internet and nobody can see whaty ou are seeing

so with that caveat....
you got two answers that seem like real possibilities... first is that he is dreaming... second that it is warm in your house and he is a bit hot...

If he is acting normally I wouldn't worry but if you are unsure its always worth a vet visit

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think he is just fine, yay! lol...He slept great, I got up early to watch him breathe and he is now breathing about 26 breaths a minute which is completely normal. Maybe he was dreaming or it WAS too hot in our house for him. Thanks so much for all your posts! :)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
It sounds to me like he's dreaming. I've known dogs to make running movements, whimper and bark in their sleep, not to mention snore (!) . As long as he's acting normal when he's awake, I wouldn't worry.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts