Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

four year old golden boy

853 views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  BeauShel 
#1 ·
My mom had to take her cat to the vet yesterday, cause he just wasnt feeling well. The vet said pancritis (SP) possibly and gave her some shots, and antibiotics.

While she was there , there was an guy that came in with two dogs, a four year old golden with papers, that my mom said looked like a show golden and a 13 year old golden. He was there to put them to sleep because he could no longer take care of them.

The vet could not put this 4 year old to sleep for those reasons and my mom was there and decided to take this guy home and was re-homing him with my sister who really wanted them. My sister was in contact with the original owners of this golden, and they ended up going to my sisters house to drop off the papers.

I guess the husband was taking the wife on vacation and was going to dispose of the dogs before they left. I was just sick about it when my mom told me.

My mom took the golden and gave him to my sister, and they guy dropped off the papers at my sisters house.

I guess the women was so upset and crying so hard that she didnt end up going on vacation and begged my sister to give the 4 year old golden back to her. My sister was very hesitant but did so with the condition of this lady bringing him back to her if she changed her mind for any reason.

If I knew ahead of time I think I would not have done that and I would of told my sister not to give him back, he was within minutes of get put to sleep if my mom wouldnt have been there to rescue this guy and the thought of him being back in that situation just makes me feel so sick.

See less See more
#4 ·
This is heartbreaking and absolutely makes me LIVID and SICK to my stomach. So, from what I'm gathering, they went ahead and euth'ed the 13 year old????? All because they wanted to go on vacation??????? I sure as he-- wouldn't have given them back the 4 year old.... their priorities and values are nil. Poor, poor babies.

#5 ·
Yes, they did euthenize the 13 year old, It just breaks my heart as well. I wish I would have gotten a hold of my sister first. I told my mom to call my sister right away and told her I would take him and I would have tried to find him a forever home no matter if it would have taken months and who knows I might not of been able to let him go. But it was too late:(

#6 ·
I am glad that the 4 year old was saved. But I am sick that nobody could/would save the 13 year old. How sad.

I don't think I would have given the dog back. But I also would have had surrender papers signed so they couldn't try to force me to give him back.

#7 ·
Maybe the lady didn't have a choice - maybe the man took the dogs to the vet for some other reason? Whatever the reason he took them I feel sorry for the lady as she obviously loved those dogs. I wonder if the 13 year old was his since a puppy - if so, that's appalling!!!

Takes the phrase "throw away society" to another level....

In my opinion, there's no way they should have had that dog back - he deserves a loving home with a family who would NEVER do such a thing... that man doesn't deserve to call himself an animal lover!!!

Does this sort of thing really happen.... I'm in disbelief!!!

#8 ·
I am speechless. Just when I think people can sink any lower, I hear about this stuff. I feel sad for the 13 yr old. He's now playing at the bridge with those who will love him forever. I only hope that he had some medical issues that made it the best choice for him. So sad. No way that woman would have gotten the other dog back. No way, no how.

#9 ·
I just talked to my dad and my dad said the lady was really crying hard and begged to have her dog back. My dad said that she refused to go on vacation with her husband and all she did was cry, my dad said she was in her mid 70's or even 80 years old. She promised to give the dog back to my sister if things didnt work, but after talking to my dad I think things maybe okay, I hope anyway.

I feel heartbroken for the 13 year old, make many friends at the bridge dear boy!

#10 ·
I didn't think that a Vet would put a dog to sleep, regardless of age, if it was healthy otherwise. I'd like to know why the Vet didn't call Rescue for the 13 year old. I also think the husband's story is hokey. I bet this guy has a mean streak a mile wide. The 4 year old dog is NOT safe in that house.

#11 ·
I am sick and actually nauseous reading this. I can't believe anyone would put down any dog other than for the reason of life ending illness. Even though I know horrible things /abuse goes on in the world.

There is nothing else to say. I can't believe the vet did it.

#14 ·
There are some people who lose their good sense as they get older (I am trying to put this nicely.) They do things that are uncharacteristically hurtful. They have fits of anger and are almost child like in the way they rationalize situations. What has been described sounds like there was something going on with the elderly man. The vet should have recognized that and counseled him.

It is just terribly sad. The only good part of this story is that someone took a chance and stuck their neck out in trying to help. From all of us who respect and love our dogs - - - thank you.

#15 ·
Marty's Mom, You're right. My MIL has said some things that are hurtful and cruel. Things she would never had said as a younger woman. I do think a bit of selfishness takes over some Seniors. You are giving them the benefit of the doubt. Good for you. But the Vet? I hope the 13 year old was taken home with a soft hearted Vet tech.

#17 ·
That just makes me sick to my stomach. Maybe the woman didnt know what the husband had done until after it had been done and tried to get them back but it was to late for the 13 year old guy. I hope that the other dog is safe from that guy. He is a piece of **** for doing that, so they could go on vacation. I think that Hooch is there playing and comforting the boy at the bridge and telling he is loved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.