Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
It sure looks like obsidian...that'd be my guess.

Pete

Reactions: 2Retrievers222

·
Banned
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found this 10min north of Burlington in mud off trail. No colour in it. No volcano activity here.

"Obsidian can be found in locations which have experienced rhyolitic eruptions"

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Looks like obsidian to me also. Attached is a picture I just took of a piece I picked up from Mono Lake in Ca 25 years ago. Only thing is, it isn't really light. I has some weight to it.
It "could" be part of what is known as a tektite, terrestrial glass formed by a meteor impact. And Canada does have evidence of that in Quebec and quite possibly the Hudson Bay itself.

Attachments

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Very cool!

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
6 lbs?
Yeah, obsidian or a piece of a larger tektite.
Mine weighs in at just under 2 lbs.
I'll do a bit more research on it.

·
3 goldens
11,923 Posts
I don't know what it is, but i like the look of it.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
I found an 8 pound rock here that looks just like that. I MAY have a picture somewhere. I didnt have my bag with me and was to lazy to carry it the 4 miles home as I was on a trail

·
Banned
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It has a bad chemical smell to it. I put it outside. Going to break a small piece off and give it a fire test after I eat. If you don,t hear back from me. lol

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
Well I guess it's not obsidian., as you know obsidian wouldn't melt with just a small flame or fire. Were there any other rocks like it nearby where you found it? It's got to be plastic of some kind...I wonder what the heck it is???

Pete

·
Banned
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I guess it's not obsidian., as you know obsidian wouldn't melt with just a small flame or fire. Were there any other rocks like it nearby where you found it? It's got to be plastic of some kind...I wonder what the heck it is???

Pete
I just came back from same spot, looking for more. It had no snow over it. Off a horse trail. Unless someone dumped it there.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts