Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a great Pyrenees today and I already called the rescue... they haven't called back. She seems older but knows basic commands and is so incredibly calm. Am planning to take her to the shelter tomorrow... anyone want her? :( I don't want to give her up but we live in a tiny apt... not going to work. We are calling her Etta (beretta) because we already have Remy (remington)

·
Premium Member
18,411 Posts
If she was wearing the tag I see in the picture when you found her, call the vet's office on the tag and see if they have a record of her owner. Please don't take her to the shelter yet. Have her scanned for a chip, put up flyers in your neighborhood, call vets offices near your home, put a found ad on Craigslist.

And try these Pyr rescues:
txpyrs.org
spinrescue.org
pyrsandpaws.org
www.nationalpyr.org

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Please don't rehome her until you or someone else gives it time to make sure she didn't just get out of the yard. Think about how heartbroken you'd be if your pup got out, someone found him and gave him away without looking for you.

Thank you for taking her in and caring for her!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
If she was wearing the tag I see in the picture when you found her, call the vet's office on the tag and see if they have a record of her owner. Please don't take her to the shelter yet. Have her scanned for a chip, put up flyers in your neighborhood, call vets offices near your home, put a found ad on Craigslist.

And try these Pyr rescues:
txpyrs.org
spinrescue.org
pyrsandpaws.org
www.nationalpyr.org
Isn't that a home again tag?

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's just a rabies tag... we are planning to try to call the vet on Monday. The clinic on the tag is in another area and someone said they thought she was dumped. :( Hopefully we will be able to find her a home...

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I would still call the Vet and see what they say. I would try to home her first as they have suggested. Our shelters are so full they usually put the dogs down. No kill shelters are full and can take no more. I would place a free add in local paper, Craigslist and a few flyers at the Vets offices and see if you get a family to respond.

But call her Vet first. Ash you are a doll for talking this little one in. Thank you so much, it says so much of your heart.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
No, I think it is a rabies tag in the shape of the state of Texas.
Oh, okay. Ours is just oblong shaped. The fact that she has a rabies tag on is usually a good sign, unless it's way out of date.

Just in case she's a stray rather than dumped, please try to keep her for the state's required holding period and try to find her owners. I wouldn't give her away for free, no way, no how. That's how dog fighters get their bait dogs. Especially the big dogs.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
She's looks to be a real sweetheart....love the look in her eyes. She appears to be in pretty good shape and the disposition you mentioned, very calm, indicates she was well cared for...I'd bet anything someone is out looking for her.

Thanks for taking care of her. Great advice you've been given here, wish I was closer by, I'd be happy to give her a temporary home.

Pete

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Her rabies tag is from 2008 but I'm still planning on calling. We just gave her a bath and her fur was so matted that we had to cut quite a bit. She was so so dirty. She has terrible teeth but I just can't tell how old she is. We live on the third floor and she is afraid of the stairs :( so we have to take a long time to encourage her up and down. Wish I could carry her... no way no how!

I think my friend's mom may be interested in her. She is so sweet and so lovable. She walks great on a leash, too.

Reactions: Megora

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Doesn't look like anyone on craig's list is looking for her...

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

She's starting to settle down. She ate (but only canned food) and finally drank water!

Reactions: Karen2

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
She is beautiful. Keeping my fingers crossed that she goes to a great home.

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She is so beautiful... she's an older dog from what I can tell... sweet old girl

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
If your mom's friend does not want her, please give rescues a chance to get in touch w/ you, even re-send e-mails. I know here in Georgia, if you take them to a shelter after a couple of days they are considered owner surrenders and are subject to be put down at any time.

Reactions: Hali's Mom
1 - 20 of 41 Posts