Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
161 - 180 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Shala had her first chemo treatment yesterday and it seemed to go well. She was happy and bright, and was allowed to go with her afternoon dog walk group and had a great time. Ate and peed and pooped normally.

This morning, almost exactly 24 hours later, she threw up three times. Emptied her stomach. (She hadn't eaten breakfast yet, so it was yesterday's digested food). The oncologist had said that if she was going to have side effects (nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea), it would not be until 5 days later. :( I have called and left a message with him to find out if the sooner vomiting is cause for concern. My poor lovie. She just can't catch a break, I feel like.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Poor Shala. I'm sorry she is sick. Maybe they can give her something for nausea.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I have called and left a message with him to find out if the sooner vomiting is cause for concern. My poor lovie. She just can't catch a break, I feel like.
So sorry to hear this! It's awful when our pups are not feeling well. Hope you can get some reassurance from the oncologist ASAP!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I am just seeing this today. I am so, so sorry you and sweet Shala are going through this. Prayers for a complete recovery and many more years making memories together.

·
Super Moderator
18,765 Posts
Prayers and positive thoughts continuing for precious Shala, please give her a gentle hug from me x

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Oh - poor girl. Seems too coincidental for it not to be related to her chemo. Hoping that it was simply earlier than the oncologist expected but nothing more worrisome. She needs a break. Hugs.

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Thanks for all your thoughts. The oncology service did call me back yesterday, just as we were out for a very slow walk. :( Shala was definitely unwell all day yesterday. She never asked for food and she just slept all day, moving from under my desk, to the couch beside me, to her bed. I realized she never even drank any water or even asked to go out.

They were surprised and a bit concerned to hear she threw up just 24 hours later. It takes a good several days, they said, for the chemo to actually work its way through and get to the lining of the stomach which is when it usually causes the nausea/vomiting and/or diarrhea. So we are not actually 100% sure it was the chemo, but we all agreed it seems odd that she threw up the day after getting her first treatment. There is the norm - and then there are individual dogs, as they said to me. She does have a blood test scheduled for 7 days after the first chemo to make sure her levels don't drop too low - they do it as a rule to make sure the dosage is right.

This morning, I offered her a bit of boiled chicken, even though she didn't ask. She ate it, but did not drink water. We went for a better walk - better in that she was trotting along normally, and sniffing the world, not walking like an old, sick dog like yesterday. That was a big relief, and she even managed to squeeze out a tiiiiny poop despite not eating yesterday, and it was fully formed.

The chemo service is calling me back around 1pm for an update. They did send us home with nausea and diarrhea meds, just in case, but I held off giving them yesterday (I don't usually jump to meds; I like to see how something plays out, and they agreed I should hold off unless she seemed sick still this morning). I do feel like she is better. I'll offer her some more food in a few hours if she keeps this bit of chicken down.

Reactions: diane0905

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. Fingers crossed that the chemo, even if tough, does its job. Kind thoughts to you.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I hope she starts feeling better. My heart breaks for you and Shala. I have no idea if it would help, but Duke has Megaesophagus, so he’s pretty much always nauseous. I blend his food in a blender with water to a milkshake consistency. I also feed three small meals a day. It gives him the water he needs, he doesn’t drink water much. It also makes a huge difference in him being sick. He gets a metoclopramide 10 mg with each meal.

May not apply, but if it can help I wanted to mention it. (Hugs)

·
Kate
22,962 Posts
Maybe hold off on the walks until she's feeling better?

These dogs are so stalwart that they will walk even when something is wrong. Not saying there's something wrong, but if she's not drinking... I'd just let her rest for a few days and watch and see.

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Maybe hold off on the walks until she's feeling better?

These dogs are so stalwart that they will walk even when something is wrong. Not saying there's something wrong, but if she's not drinking... I'd just let her rest for a few days and watch and see.
Her "walks" the past two days were walking up the street and back so she could go to the bathroom. I'm definitely not making my sick dog go for extended walks. She has mostly just slept them past few days. :(

Hopefully the Chemo can kick the cancer's butt.
I hope so. I was so hesitant about doing it at all. The fact that it wasn't supposed to make her feel sick helped me to make the decision, and now seeing her feeling so lousy is just breaking my heart.

Reactions: Megora and 3Pebs3

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
So after yesterday's improvement, she woke me up this morning to get outside NOW, and had liquid diarrhea. And then about 2.5 hours later, she was crying to go out again, and before we made it out the door, she threw up twice (and then we went out and she had more diarrhea). My poor girlie. :(

I gave her the anti-nausea/vomiting medication when we came in, and if she asks for food today, I'll give her some rice to try to help bind her up a bit. I have Metro for the diarrhea, too, but I want to see how she does on the anti-nausea med first.

The oncology service is a bit concerned. They agree it would be weird if it WASN'T related to the chemo, even though this was not supposed to happen. Shala is already scheduled to have blood work done on Tuesday that would indicate if they need to adjust the dose. Hopefully this will pass soon. I hate to see her feeling so sad.

Reactions: 3Pebs3

·
Super Moderator
3,324 Posts
I’m sorry that Shala isn’t feeling well. Hopefully she’ll turn the corner soon!

Interesting that they said there would be some time after chemo before she started feeling effects - Kaizer’s oncologist said that usually side effects are seen in the days immediately following the chemo. Maybe different chemos react differently?

Kaizer’s been on both Cerenia (and Zofran too - unsure what they gave you) and metronidazole many times. The metro will definitely help with the liquid diarrhea (ask me how I know LOL) and the cerenia has been a miracle worker for nausea/throwing up. If she’s not drinking water and having liquid stool, I’d watch to make sure she doesn’t become dehydrated (it can happen quickly with no drinking/liquid stool, again..ask me how I know!).

161 - 180 of 227 Posts