201 - 220 of 227 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,324 Posts
How is Shala now?

·
Registered
931 Posts
I am so so sorry to see this. I really hope the swelling is not regrowth and that her oncologist is able to find the right anti-nausea med to help her through her treatment. I'm sending all of my best wishes for comfort.

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Hi guys - sorry for the delayed reply. My unread posts are not showing as unread, so I didn't realize there were new posts.

The oncologist had the surgeon look at the scar and thankfully, she was totally not worried. When she did the surgery and removed the tumour, there was some sort of slight repositioning of muscle over the bone that sticks up on both sides of the back/top of the rear end, and that is really all it is. The swelling that happened I now really believe was in fact a black fly bite that was itchy and swelled up. It has since gone back down and stayed the same size. So that's a relief.

And the oncologist lowered the chemo dose this past week because she has been so sick on it. And that has done the trick! We kept her on the anti nausea and diarrhea meds for the seven days post chemo this time, and she has not been sick at all. Just a little bit of soft poop yesterday and today, but no throwing up and no nausea interrupting her appetite. So this time has been much better. Tomorrow is the seventh day since last treatment, so I feel like it has been a much better experience this time. Two more treatments to go, in another 2 weeks and then 3 weeks after that. And her fur is almost fully grown back! :)

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
I'm so glad to hear it is going better for sweet Shala.

Reactions: Sweet Girl

·
Super Moderator
3,324 Posts
I’m so glad to see such a positive update!! I’m thrilled for both you and Shala

·
Registered
931 Posts
That's wonderful! I'm so happy for Shala and you! So glad the adjustments in treatment are making it more tolerable for her and especially that the swelling was normal.

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
A little update: Shala got her last round of chemo this week. It's such a relief to know that is over. She got sick every single time, and it was so heartbreaking to see her feeling so awful. I'm so hoping that given what she went through, the chemo has done its job. She will now be seen every month by the oncologist for the next year - he will do a careful examination of her entire body for any new lumps. If the tumour is going to regrow (hopefully the chemo has diminished that chance), it will most likely be in the next 12 months and in the same area as her initial one. I can also opt to get a scan or x-rays at any point, and he will also recommend if he thinks one is necessary. I plan to get them done at 6 and 12 months, just to be safe.

She got very grey since she was diagnosed at the end of June, and her fur has thinned a bit. The darkness under her eyes and nose is from fur loss and skin blackening from the chemo, both of which will reverse, according to the oncologist. Her fur on her back and flank is almost fully grown back. I think most people would not notice it anymore, which is good as we are going into the colder weather here. She's been such a brave girl - she had to go in for her chemo treatments all by herself, get blood taken, and lie quietly for a half hour while the IV chemo went in. She went in wagging her tail and happy every time and came out the same. It has made such a difference to be working at home through all of this, especially on the days she was sick and throwing up. I will forever be grateful for all the extra time I have had with her, both before her diagnosis and since.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Liver Whiskers

·
Super Moderator
3,324 Posts
what a sweet girl!! I’m so, so glad chemo is over and I hope that it did its jo preventing any further tumor growth!!

·
Super Moderator
1,663 Posts
This is wonderful news!

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
I was just thinking about Shala yesterday and wondering how it was going. I'm so glad she's done with chemo!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
SO glad to hear the chemo is done. How brave and what an inspiration to see her wagging both going in and out. I'm sure she was the darling of the staff and doctors. She has me captivated - that's for sure. Praying that the future is bright for both of you.

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Thank you all for being here with me on this journey. It's not one I expected to be on with an 8-year-old. There've been some not so great days, but hopefully now we are on the other side of the surgery and chemo, there will be many good days ahead.

I'm sure she was the darling of the staff and doctors.
It's funny, they would always say how sweet she was, how good and patient and quiet she was during the treatment, and how everyone loves her. But I always think, they must say that to ALL of their clients! 😄 I always hope she is a good girl. The fact that she went in wagging and happy every time was so comforting to me. If they were anything but sweet and gentle with her, I know she would not have wanted to go back in without me.

·
Super Moderator
18,765 Posts
I'm so glad to hear Shala is doing well. Although it's hard to believe she's eight already (I remember the day you brought her home!), I was so saddened to read that you were going through this diagnosis at her age.
Sending love and hugs, hoping that you have many more happy, healthy years together x

201 - 220 of 227 Posts