Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
181 - 200 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
They mentioned perhaps giving her Cerenia alongside the chemo next time, but at the same time, we sort of want to see whether she reacts the same way the next time (since it is an unusual reaction and COULD have been a fluke and she has a bug). I'm in favour of holding off, just in case it's not needed.

And I hear ya on Metro! I wanted to take out stock in it when Shala was a baby puppy! I'm hoping that since she ate some rice yesterday evening and more just now (and will get it again later on) that she will bind up. She has not had the urgent need to go out since yesterday around midday, so fingers crossed. I'm trying not to put extra meds into her while she is getting the chemo. But I will if she is suffering (that's why I did give her the anti-nausea drug yesterday). She seems brighter again today...

·
Super Moderator
3,324 Posts
I hear you on the holding off on meds, I’m like that too.
I’m so glad she’s feeling better!! Hoping you two have a great weekend with no more bumps

Reactions: Sweet Girl

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
(Just noticing that this thread is two months old.... still seems like a bad dream even from this end.)
It has been such a sobering time. You read and hear so many stories of people whose young Goldens got cancer, but you never really think it's going to happen to YOUR Golden, even though you get insurance and know that the breed is prone to cancer, etc etc. I accepted in my head and heart that Shala would probably eventually have cancer, but I honestly totally thought she would be one of those 15-16 year olds. And maybe she will will be, who knows? But her getting cancer at eight was such a sad wake up call.

This is day 5 since chemo - this is the day she should have just started to get side effects. I am just starting to mix a tiny amount of kibble back into the rice, which seems to have done its job on the diarrhea. Hopefully now that the chemo will have reached the lining of her stomach, I am SO hoping that she doesn't have more nausea and vomiting.That would just be adding insult to injury.

Reactions: nolefan and 3Pebs3

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
She was good on Saturday, but Sunday, I could tell she was nauseous again. She had only been eating rice, so thankfully, the diarrhea eased. But she looked green and when I took her out to go to the bathroom, she sat down and just looked so defeated. There was also a glassiness to her eyes. I gave her an anti-nausea pill and that really seemed to help. She started eating a little bit of kibble again Sunday evening and through yesterday, and this morning, I just gave her a regular kibble meal. She has her 7-day-post-chemo blood work this aft, so we will find out if they need to lower her dose in the weeks to come.

Reactions: cwag

·
Kristy
10,406 Posts
... She started eating a little bit of kibble again Sunday evening and through yesterday, and this morning, I just gave her a regular kibble meal. She has her 7-day-post-chemo blood work this aft, so we will find out if they need to lower her dose in the weeks to come.
Just thinking about you two and sending love. Really hoping that it will be smoother going forward....

·
Super Moderator
18,765 Posts
Sending you lots more positive thoughts and hugs, poor Shala, I'm so sorry you're both facing this. I will keep her in my prayers x

·
Super Moderator
3,324 Posts
How is Shala? I just realized I haven’t seen an update in awhile!

Reactions: cwag

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Thanks so much for checking in. She was in her "feeling good" two weeks before her next chemo, which is Tuesday. She was sick for the 8 days following her first; we are hoping she won't be this time, but I will give her them meds right away this time if she is nauseous.

Her blood work done seven days after the first treatment was all good, so her dose will not be reduced. Which I guess is good, but I'm worried she will be sick again from it.

One thing that did happen - this past weekend, I noticed that she had a big, hard bump on the surgery scar line. There had always been an elevated line, which I assumed was scar tissue, but this was like a super-ball sized bump. It is possible that Shala got a bug bite and was chewing/itching at it and it just got irritated. It seems to have come down a bit, but not entirely. I spoke to the oncologist about it on Thursday and he said he was a bit concerned about it, but he felt that since it seemed to go down a bit it could wait til he sees her on Tuesday and he will take a look. He said it is possible that it is tumour regrowth, which just sounds so awful and unbelievable to me. (He did also say that if it seemed to grow over the weekend to bring her to the clinic and one of their emergency docs could take a look). I am hoping it is just scar tissue...

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I am praying that it's scar tissue or something like that. Especially because of it being right on the surgery scar line that seems very possible. Knowing that Shala's bloodwork was good is reassurance that things are going right. Having the nausea meds ready will be one step ahead this time too. Really praying for all to go well.

·
Super Moderator
3,324 Posts
I too am hoping that it’s nothing major!! I’m sorry that regrowth is even a concern this soon. I’m glad she’s been feeling better after the initial period, hopefully the chemo won’t hit her as hard this next time!

Reactions: Sweet Girl

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
I said a prayer for her at the pet blessing today,
That is so wonderful of you, thank you.

She had a tougher time after the second treatment. This time, we started anti-nausea and anti-diarrhea meds right away and continued them for 7 days. And yet... she threw up the day after the treatment, was nauseous all week, so ate little, and then started the diarrhea on day five. That continued until this past Friday, and she threw up again on Wednesday, too. So 10 days of side effects this time. :( Poor lovie. She is good now and should be fine now until the next treatment, which is Oct. 12.

·
Super Moderator
18,765 Posts
Sending love and hugs to your precious Shala, breaks my heart that she's going through this x

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Oh - I am so sorry to hear this. 10 days is a LONG time when you are going through it. Apparent now - Shala is more sensitive than average to this chemo. It happens with people too. But it's just so hard for you, possibly even harder than it is on Shala if that's possible. I think it is. Very few people are able to live in the moment the way our dogs do. When Shala is feeling good, she isn't thinking in all likelihood about the next round. So that is good. And maybe next time will be better. Extra hugs for both of you!

·
Registered
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
breaks my heart that she's going through this x
Me too :(

Apparent now - Shala is more sensitive than average to this chemo. It happens with people too. But it's just so hard for you, possibly even harder than it is on Shala if that's possible. I think it is. Very few people are able to live in the moment the way our dogs do. When Shala is feeling good, she isn't thinking in all likelihood about the next round. So that is good.
I hope you are right. My cousin asked me today if she was more reluctant to go into the oncologist's clinic the second time, and in all honesty, she was not. I'm not sure she knows that the visit with all the nice people on Tuesday who love on her and sit with her for a half hour while she has a strange tube attached to her leg has anything to do with her feeling like crud for the next week or 10 days. Thankfully. I hope she never makes the connection. I know the sick days are hard on her, but thankfully, she does not know she has to go through it three more times. :(

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
What a good patient to stay quiet for a half hour. That's a long time to remain still. It makes sense that she doesn't connect the 2. Not at all (not even close) the magnitude of what you and Shala are going through, but over the years some of my elderly cats needed subcutaneous fluids daily for kidney problems. My husband did it at home and it took about 20 minutes with the needle inserted into the skin at the back of their neck. Room temp fluid plus slow drip equaled a purring cat who would fall asleep in his lap while getting it done. They never ran from it or dreaded it like I thought they would. But I don't think they connected it up to making them feel better. I just think that in that moment they loved the attention and a warm lap.
I hope the next round is easier on sweet Shala.

181 - 200 of 227 Posts