Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was patting Shala yesterday and discovered what feels like a frozen pea on her back, just above her back leg (but definitely on the flat part of her back). Defiitely not a lipoma. It is small, hard and doesn't really move. I called the vet to see what they thought, and the girl I spoke to said it sounded like it could be a sebaceous cyst. Shala happened to have an appt today for her cartrophen injection, so I asked the RVT to feel it. She agreed it is not a lipoma. My inkling is to make an appt with my vet and get it aspirated. Am I being alarmist? Shala is 8 years old. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 3goldens2keep

·
Super Moderator
1,212 Posts
You are not being alarmist. Get it aspirated - it’s better to know for sure! What I thought was a lipoma on Rocket turned out to be a mast cell tumor. He was only four. It was removed with clean margins and hasn’t come back. I’m so thankful my vet aspirated it on the spot just during a routine checkup.

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are not being alarmist. Get it aspirated - it’s better to know for sure! What I thought was a lipoma on Rocket turned out to be a mast cell tumor. He was only four. It was removed with clean margins and hasn’t come back. I’m so thankful my vet aspirated it on the spot just during a routine checkup.
Thank you. This definitely reinforces my wanting to get it checked sooner than later. What did the bump feel like that turned out to be the mast cell tumour?

Reactions: 3goldens2keep

·
Super Moderator
1,212 Posts
You're welcome! It felt hard, but pliable if that makes sense. It felt like a lipoma to me and was under the skin completely as opposed to being embedded somewhere in the dermis. My vet said that MCTs can masquerade as innocent cysts and lipomas, which is why it's good to always aspirate questionable lumps.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Duke had a bump like that just above his left shoulder a few years ago. We aspirated it and it turned out to be just a cyst. I still ended up having the entire thing removed. It would get infected. He did two or three courses of antibiotics and it would go down in size, but kept coming back. I wish I 'd had it removed much sooner. It's not always worst case, but it's always best to know.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don’t think you’re being an alarmist. Go with your gut and have her checked.
Storm had a lump on her belly a few summers ago that we went through antibiotics for and ended up having removed. I had it sent off and it ended up being cells around a foreign body (possibly a foxtail). It was a relief, but I had the same hesitancy as you. Always go for peace of mind.

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
I'd also have it aspirated. We just did that with Lana and it wasn't even a bump just a weird section of swelling on her hind paw that we (the vet and I) couldn't find a cause for. Could be bacterial. Could be fungal. Could be something worse. Only way to know for sure is to get the cells under a microscope at Cytology and have them analyzed. That phrase "better to be safe than sorry" comes to mind. :) I hope it's nothing.

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are all so helpful and supportive. Thank you. And thank you for all the descriptions and experiences you had. It really does prove it could be anything, so best to get it checked.

I did make an appt with my vet. It's not til next Wednesday, but I feel like that's okay. It's very small, but not really pliable or moveable. I'm hoping it's just a cyst, but I will have it aspirated for sure.

IShala is the same age as Ellie and I just always feel that connection with you two. Sending positive vibes...
Thank you... same here. Hard to believe they are both eight years old already, eh?

Reactions: nolefan

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
I agree that you aren't being an alarmist and I'd get it aspirated. Eight years old, time really flies! Honey has a MCT a 1yr old and at almost 11 gets lots of lipomas. With Covid protocols at the vet's I end up sending a hand drawn pic showing where they all are so each one can be checked. (BTW, the pic looked like it was drawn by a 1st grader.)
We can't be too careful...

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I think you see, all of us Golden people have learned to fear cancer in our dogs! When a bump of any kind appears on one of my pups, we get to our vet and ask he be aggressive in dealing with the bump...aspirate it and get anything of concern checked at the lab. Or better yet, take it out all together...of course our vet know what is best in these cases!

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With Covid protocols at the vet's I end up sending a hand drawn pic showing where they all are so each one can be checked. (BTW, the pic looked like it was drawn by a 1st grader.)
Such a good point I hadn't even thought of! At my vet, the RVT picks them up at the door, so hopefully I will be able to show her exactly where it is (it took me a few seconds yesterday to find it to show the tech who gave Shala her cartrophen shot yesterday). I sort of totally forgot I won't be in the room when my vet feels it (which seems insane after 15 months of this!). She'll call me or might even come out to chat outside afterwards, but this will be the first time Shala is going in during Covid protocols for something other than a quick monthly injection or her wellness exam.

·
3 goldens
12,058 Posts
My Irish Setter had a lump on his--turned out to be a cyst. My golden retrieve, Honey , several years later, had place on her rear leg that neither my vet nor myself thought it was anything to fret over, but he removed it, sent it off--grand two mast cell tumor without clean edge. So he had to operate and remove a larger area. This time it was clean . She was about 8 at the time. Los her at right at 14 and she never had any more lumps.

The ends of the incision were healing and that rambunctious girl busted the center open. My vet didn't want to re-but wanted it to heal from the inside out. She hated baths--took two to give her one. But I was to spray out that open wound twice a day, and when it started healing, i think it started to itch and spraying water on it with the water hose must have helped the itch. I didn't even have to hold her her still. This is her leg after the surgery, and then after she busted the middle open after the ends had healed. I get every lump or odd looking place check out.
ahoney.jpg
honeyleg2.jpg
stitch

Reactions: Sweet Girl

·
Registered
8 Posts
My girl Lucy has a few of those and they turned out to be sebaceous cysts. I would agree to still have it aspirated to be sure though. Any time they develop a new lump or bump it’s a good idea to double check them. Lucy has a couple hard lumps like you’re describing and I don’t worry when new ones just like it pop up. Then she developed a larger softer one and I got that one aspirated too and it turned out to be fatty. If one pops up that feels different than those two, I’ll get that one tested too!

·
Super Moderator
2,871 Posts
Kaizer has some little bumps all over him, they’ve all turned out to be cysts. He’s had a fairly large one (gum ball sized vs pea sized) one his tail since he was 2. The others are on his side and don’t bother him, but they’re also small.

Reactions: Sweet Girl

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update: we went to the vet yesterday. She agreed it is not a lipoma. She took two needles of gunk out of the growth - the first, she said, was all pus. The second had pus plus some blood in it, too, though she said that could have come from hitting a skin capillary, and was not necessarily a concern. But we won't know for sure til the lab results come back. She said it could be anything from an infected hair follicle, or a piece of vegetation that got in there and got infected and impacted, or a sabaceous cyst .. to a mast cell tumour. It's a holiday here today and the lab may or may not be open tomorrow (many businesses and such are taking extended long weekends). I'm hoping they will be open and get the results tomorrow, but it may not be until Monday.

·
Kristy
10,201 Posts
... It's a holiday here today and the lab may or may not be open tomorrow (many businesses and such are taking extended long weekends). I'm hoping they will be open and get the results tomorrow, but it may not be until Monday.
Why in the HECK is it always a holiday weekend.... sending vibes for receiving the report tomorrow that show an infected hair follicle and nothing more. Sending you a hug, try to keep busy.

·
Registered
18,346 Posts
Prayers flying across for your precious Shala, keeping everything crossed for you both x

1 - 20 of 139 Posts