Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Claire
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i agreed to foster this 7 month old great dane mix. I have 3 month old golden retriever as well. I took them to the dog park and they ran around for 2 straight hours. Now that we are home when ever i let them get together they want to play and sometime the foster dog is too rough with phoebe and she tries to get away but he is so big. I have him on a leash and they are both sleeping now but im really hungry, i dont want to get up and wake them both up. He isnt crate trained and i have tenants downstairs whom i do not want to disturb and i dont want to put Phoebe in her crate as she might think it is for a punishment. Its only for a couple days but it has been a couple hours and i am exhuasted!

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
You will figure out a routine. If you give Phoebe a kong or filled bone in her crate and make it a happy time she won't think it's punishment. Will the foster dog complain in the crate?

·
Claire
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, he complains whenever he cannot see a human. He is very much neglected all hos ribs.are prominant.
Phoebe is tricky, she is one of those animals that do not eat in captivity. I can put a.hambirger in her cage and she will not eat it while the door is closed. Not sure why.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Separate with a baby gate? Phoebe needs a break and a safe place away from the foster, though I am sure he will settle down once he's over all the excitement.

·
Claire
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes we spread out the playpen to seperate the floor. That seems to be working for Phoebe but the foster "Bruce" is not happy about the seperation.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Yeah, well, he'll get used to it. This is where you love him, but teach him that he has some boundaries and make him a happy, well-adjusted pup. You want him to be adopted and you need to help him learn how to be adoptable by teaching behaviors that help with that.

·
Claire
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am just finding it so over whelming. He just wants to go go go and i just dont know what i can do to make him relaxed. He wont listen to anything i say and he is starting to jump the gate to get to Phoebe. I tried putting him in another room with a kong, didn't work. I tried giving them both kongs. Didnt work. I wouldnt mind them playing its just he is very very rough with her and she runs away screaming. And she is a tough girl! Maybe fostering just isn't for me.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Hang in there...he has just had his world rocked with all of the change and since he's been so deprived, he's trying to everything now. You can try some basic obedience drills with him, like sit, down (you can lure with food into positions). Make him think/tire the mind and that will help him wind down.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I am just finding it so over whelming. He just wants to go go go and i just dont know what i can do to make him relaxed. He wont listen to anything i say and he is starting to jump the gate to get to Phoebe. I tried putting him in another room with a kong, didn't work. I tried giving them both kongs. Didnt work. I wouldnt mind them playing its just he is very very rough with her and she runs away screaming. And she is a tough girl! Maybe fostering just isn't for me.
BTW, the first 24 hours of fostering is by far the most stressful. In the 8 years I have been doing it, I still have times where I wonder if I've lost my ever loving mind! If you can get past that, it'll end up being a breeze.

·
Claire
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last night wasn't as bad as i though. We had the crate in our room which we put him in and we brought Phoebes bed in which she happily slept in. This morning we strategized. I took Phoebe upstairs and opened all passages to outside then my boyfriend let him out of the crate and i called him. He was like a bull!! Today will be interesting as i can only take Phoebe to work. He has a bone to chew and will be locked in the laundry room. Hopefully tonight will go more smoothly.

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
BTW, the first 24 hours of fostering is by far the most stressful. In the 8 years I have been doing it, I still have times where I wonder if I've lost my ever loving mind! If you can get past that, it'll end up being a breeze.
I totally agree with this on all points. Hang in there it will get better.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Just an FYI...you REALLY need to teach both pups that a crate is a GREAT place to be and NOT a punishment. Having a crate as a positive tool will help you keep your sanity and them safe.
Thank you for fostering and wishing you the best!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts