Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So many memories when a dog is such an integral part of life. It's hard because you're aware before you even open your eyes in the morning, before your feet hit the floor that the house is empty. I have to think that Max might have preferred not to share your home with another Golden while he was there, but I don't think he would hold you to a promise like life without a Golden when he wasn't there to fill your lives. A Golden is far too generous and loving to hold you to a promise like that....
That is true enuf, he would want us happy and maybe someday we will bring another golden into our lives. They have some big paw prints to fill. Thank you

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello,
My name is Steven, we lost our beautiful boy on December 12. It has only been approx 2 weeks since we lost him but feels like eternity. Max was going to be 14 on April 19, we had a long and awesome life with him, but it is never long enough. Having no children my wife and I are completely lost as our world revolved around him every single day. The heart ache is hardly bearable, the loneliness is a sick feeling in your stomach, just to have one more day. He had complications with his breathing as he had larynx paralysis, we had to rush him to the hospital in the middle of the night, not knowing it would be our goodbye. How to move forward without him is still unknown, he was my rock.
So sorry for the loss of your wonderful dog. Do you have a picture of Max that you could share with us?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Your post brings tears - oh those pawprints in the snow . . . . .. Max's pictures too. My boy went everywhere with us too. We honestly were always thinking about getting back home to him on those rare occasions we went out without him!
He loved our Element - we called that one "Chance's car".

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would like to thank all of you very much for the comforting warm words. The last few days have been hard, being Christmas I guess makes it abit harder. When even thinking about another golden I feel guilty for thinking that someday we might, it’s like max would be crushed. I always said I would never get another after Max, and may have even told him that on occasions, lol. He knew how loved he was. The night we had to say goodbye he was on the table at the hospital, we walked in after seeing the dr, he looked up at us and wagged his tail 3 times. We rubbed him and told him how special he was, kissed him and said how good of a boy he was. I told him one day we will be together again but until then go have fun with others. As he laid there he lifted his head and looked at me, then looked a little father to look at his mom, then laid his head back down, I took that as his way of telling us it was time to part ways and it was ok. I pray to God that’s what he wanted, he was so tired and scared, if only he could tell me now he is ok. The only way to know that is we have to believe, as we move forward one day at a time I’m sure it will get a bit easier, but the emptiness is so strong. As I stand at his grave each morning and night, I picture him sauntering along dipping his nose in the cold snow, he loved making snow angels. To think we had almost 14 springs, 14, summers, 14 falls and 14 winters is amazing but so sad it has em come to in end. Not having the paw prints and trails in the fresh snow breaks our hearts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What a beautiful beautiful boy. I think I understand what you’re going through…my husband and I lost our girl of 11 years in November. Our home echos with loneliness and the heartache hurts to the absolute core of my existence. My legs feel heavy and life is cold. The thought of another dog makes me weep with guilt but the thought of not experiencing love from another Golden is unbearable.
You’re so right when you say there can never be another ‘Max’, he holds that special
place in your heart…what I’d like to believe is we have so much more love to give and our hearts are bigger than we could of ever imagined.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I’m so sorry for your loss. I know that pain. Only others who have had that loss truly understand. I have come to believe Goldens are angels in dogs bodies and I have come to the realization that I always need an angel in my life. Max was your special boy. He left a big hole but did it to allow you to fill it with an angel.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
These expressions of grief and sorrow are so true and I'm in awe of how beautifully people have been able to express them.
I never ever expected my next golden(s) to take the place of my Chance. They don't and never will. But when I brought baby Lance home, my days were filled with laughter because who can not laugh with a golden puppy in the house. Then 2 months later, I brought baby Blaze home and I had 2 golden puppies to take care of.
Once you know the love of a golden, you can't imagine living life without it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
My name is Steven, we lost our beautiful boy on December 12. It has only been approx 2 weeks since we lost him but feels like eternity. Max was going to be 14 on April 19, we had a long and awesome life with him, but it is never long enough. Having no children my wife and I are completely lost as our world revolved around him every single day. The heart ache is hardly bearable, the loneliness is a sick feeling in your stomach, just to have one more day. He had complications with his breathing as he had larynx paralysis, we had to rush him to the hospital in the middle of the night, not knowing it would be our goodbye. How to move forward without him is still unknown, he was my rock.
I think a new puppy later once you are ready will help. It keeps you busy and distracted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm so sorry Steven. My favorite photos of the ones you posted are where Max is leaning on the center console of the car. So cute, so handsome, so bright, so "with you." Which I'm sure he still is, wherever his spirit lives now.

That's what we believe about our golden Katie, who passed a few years ago, but there's not a day we don't think about her still. We're still sad, but there's also lots to remember that makes us smile too. That's goldens for ya.

Be strong, my friend - glad you're here on this forum - and when the time comes, when you're ready, think about it. We are finally taking our first steps too, after Katie, to fill that hole in our hearts and our home. You'll get there too -- with Max's blessing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,
My name is Steven, we lost our beautiful boy on December 12. It has only been approx 2 weeks since we lost him but feels like an eternity. Max was going to be 14 on April 19, we had a long and awesome life with him, but it is never long enough. Having no children my wife and I are completely lost as our world revolved around him every single day. The heartache is hardly bearable, the loneliness is a sick feeling in your stomach, just to have one more day. He had complications with his breathing as he had larynx paralysis, we had to rush him to the hospital in the middle of the night, not knowing it would be our goodbye. How to move forward without him is still unknown, he was my rock.
I am so, so sorry for your loss. We know exactly what you are going thru. We lost our Luna last April 15. She was 12 1/2 and was dx with lymphoma in Feb. Thankfully we were able, with our wonderful Vet and vet tech, to make her transition to the Rainbow Bridge a beautiful, peaceful passing. We have been so, so lucky to have been able to have our Vets come to our home. Luna was the third Golden we have ushered to the Rainbow Bridge - and it seems to get harder and harder. We have always had at least 2 dogs at a time. We love dogs and think they love to have a doggy companion. But also, a little selfishly, when one dog leaves us we have the other dog to care for and love - and it really helps. We welcomed Merry, a big male Golden, into our home on August 28. He is now 6 months old, about 65 lbs (YES HUGE!!), and annoying and playing with his "brother" Pippin all the time. We will never forget Luna...or Mojo or Potter. We think of them and are able to talk about them without breaking down into tears (most of the time). Time really does heal. Think about another Golden...not to take Max's place...but as a place to focus all that dog love you so obviously have. He or she is out there waiting for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello,
Sorry for your loss Steven, don’t feel bad just remember the good times you spent with this beautiful ángel, god bless you 🙏

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
I am so sorry for your loss. The grief comes in waves at unexpected times. Let it flow and feel it. With time the waves will lessen and you will be filled with beautiful memories of your time with him.
Jeanette

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello,
This is a grave loss, there is no formula with grief. About a year after my husband died, my perfectly healthy 10 year old beautiful healthy boy died of cardiomyopathy. I asked God, please! No! I can't take it!

Life includes loss and grief. That is the reality. I got another golden a few years later, he died at age 10. I am bereft.

Steven, we will survive, heartbroken but we will.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I am so sorry for your loss. The grief comes in waves at unexpected times. Let it flow and feel it. With time the waves will lessen and you will be filled with beautiful memories of your time with him.
Jeanette
Thank you to everyone with your thoughts and reassuring words. The last few days have been hard and really hard today, missing him like crazy, to be able to run my fingers through his fur and scratch his belly would be the best, he loved that, he would cuddle right in tight to when it was sleepy time, thinking of these times are nice but near knock the wind out of me as these memories are still covered with sadness. Hopefully in time they will bring a smile and happy feeling instead of hurt. Thank you once again for the nice comments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Steven - I lost my beloved Rocky on October 1st at 13 y.o. I still miss him every day, but am at peace knowing I gave him the best life any dog ever had, and . . . he did the same for me! I had another Golden, (Buck), before I got Rocky 13 years ago, and cried for a year when Bucky died of a brain tumor at 8 y.o. But I knew Bucky wanted me to have Rocky, so I was fine with knowing he would probably leave me sooner than vice versa.

“And at his back I seem to hear, time’s winged chariot drawing near.”

A friend sent me this poem - I hope it helps -

Trailing Clouds of Glory

“I’ll lend you for a little while, a pup of mine,” he said,
“For you to love while with you and mourn for when he’s gone.”
“It may be four or fourteen years, or maybe more, we’ll see
But will you, ‘till I call him back, take care of him for me?
He’ll bring his love to gladden you, and if his stay is brief,
You’ll have his precious memories as solace for your grief.
I‘ve looked the whole world over in my search for keepers true,
And from the throngs that crowd your earth, I selected you.
Now will you give him all your love, nor think the labor vain?
Nor wonder when I come to call to take him back again?
I fancied when I heard you say “Dear Lord, thy will be done”
For all the joy that he will bring, the risk of grief I’ll run
Please shelter him with tenderness and love him while you may
And for the happiness he’s brought, will let him go his way
And should the angels call for him much sooner than you planned,
You’ll know for sure I needed him, and he is home again
His time with you, while all too brief, is part of life’s sweet story,
He’s back with me where he belongs, trailing clouds of glory!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Steven - I lost my beloved Rocky on October 1st at 13 y.o. I still miss him every day, but am at peace knowing I gave him the best life any dog ever had, and . . . he did the same for me! I had another Golden, (Buck), before I got Rocky 13 years ago, and cried for a year when Bucky died of a brain tumor at 8 y.o. But I knew Bucky wanted me to have Rocky, so I was fine with knowing he would probably leave me sooner than vice versa.

“And at his back I seem to hear, time’s winged chariot drawing near.”

A friend sent me this poem - I hope it helps -

Trailing Clouds of Glory

“I’ll lend you for a little while, a pup of mine,” he said,
“For you to love while with you and mourn for when he’s gone.”
“It may be four or fourteen years, or maybe more, we’ll see
But will you, ‘till I call him back, take care of him for me?
He’ll bring his love to gladden you, and if his stay is brief,
You’ll have his precious memories as solace for your grief.
I‘ve looked the whole world over in my search for keepers true,
And from the throngs that crowd your earth, I selected you.
Now will you give him all your love, nor think the labor vain?
Nor wonder when I come to call to take him back again?
I fancied when I heard you say “Dear Lord, thy will be done”
For all the joy that he will bring, the risk of grief I’ll run
Please shelter him with tenderness and love him while you may
And for the happiness he’s brought, will let him go his way
And should the angels call for him much sooner than you planned,
You’ll know for sure I needed him, and he is home again
His time with you, while all too brief, is part of life’s sweet story,
He’s back with me where he belongs, trailing clouds of glory!
tears…this is so beautiful

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Steven,
We lost our beloved boy, Jack, on December 10th to the dreaded hemangiosarcoma, at age 10 years and 7 months. When I read your words I relive the pain of saying goodbye. We knew he wouldn't live forever but we were gut punched in September when we found our he had hemangiosarcoma. We did our best to make his last days, however many there were going to be, special, and we were able to have him for nearly another 90 days. The pain is the price your pay for all the love your shared. May Rocky's memory forever bring a smile to your face and a glow in your heart. He was a beautiful soul.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts