Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My name is Steven, we lost our beautiful boy on December 12. It has only been approx 2 weeks since we lost him but feels like eternity. Max was going to be 14 on April 19, we had a long and awesome life with him, but it is never long enough. Having no children my wife and I are completely lost as our world revolved around him every single day. The heart ache is hardly bearable, the loneliness is a sick feeling in your stomach, just to have one more day. He had complications with his breathing as he had larynx paralysis, we had to rush him to the hospital in the middle of the night, not knowing it would be our goodbye. How to move forward without him is still unknown, he was my rock.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I am so sorry Steven for your loss of Max. We lost our beautiful boy on June 23, 2019 who, like Max, was just shy of 14. That is a long life for a golden but what you said is how we felt, not long enough.
The first year was toughest but I still think of Chance every day and probably always will.
Don't feel there is a specified time and that you need to get "over" it. Surround yourself with like-minded people who understand your loss.
I memorialized Chance in many different ways. My Chance was very social and reaching out to everyone who knew him with a note and memorial card (I had them made up) helped me. I also didn't want to meet people out and about and have them ask where he was.
I also attended a pet loss bereavement group but now these are mostly virtual I think.
And I just allowed myself to embrace my grief and feel it.
Post about Max as much as you want. This entire forum is made up of like-minded folks who totally get it.You will get through it but it will just take time.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So sorry to hear about your loss Steven. It is heart breaking to hear about and sad that dogs don’t have much much longer lives. :(

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I am very sorry about your loss of sweet Max. Most of us here understand the pain of losing a beloved family member. You will always miss him but it will not always hurt this badly. Take care.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Steven, I'm so sorry for your loss of Max.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Our grand old Golden passed this year too. Our time with them is never long enough. There will always be an empty place in your heart and your house, and the places you used to go together. That’s ok, that’s love. Hugs and peace to you and your spouse.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am so sorry Steven for your loss of Max. We lost our beautiful boy on June 23, 2019 who, like Max, was just shy of 14. That is a long life for a golden but what you said is how we felt, not long enough.
The first year was toughest but I still think of Chance every day and probably always will.
Don't feel there is a specified time and that you need to get "over" it. Surround yourself with like-minded people who understand your loss.
I memorialized Chance in many different ways. My Chance was very social and reaching out to everyone who knew him with a note and memorial card (I had them made up) helped me. I also didn't want to meet people out and about and have them ask where he was.
I also attended a pet loss bereavement group but now these are mostly virtual I think.
And I just allowed myself to embrace my grief and feel it.
Post about Max as much as you want. This entire forum is made up of like-minded folks who totally get it.You will get through it but it will just take time.
Thank you very much for your comforting response, it is nice knowing this forum is here and can visit it at any given time. Here is a few pics of our handsome boy, some are recent and some are from his earlier years, but all beautiful.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of Max. It's such an awful empty sad place to be. I hope your heart is soon comforted by happy memories of your time together. Max was a handsome boy.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your loss of Max. He sure was a handsome fella. There are so many of us here that have suffered through a similar experience. It doesn't matter how much or how little time we have with them, it never seems to be enough. Feel free to post more photos or share some stories about Max. That might help you focus on your good memories of him and sharing may help to ease the pain.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello,
My name is Steven, we lost our beautiful boy on December 12. It has only been approx 2 weeks since we lost him but feels like eternity. Max was going to be 14 on April 19, we had a long and awesome life with him, but it is never long enough. Having no children my wife and I are completely lost as our world revolved around him every single day. The heart ache is hardly bearable, the loneliness is a sick feeling in your stomach, just to have one more day. He had complications with his breathing as he had larynx paralysis, we had to rush him to the hospital in the middle of the night, not knowing it would be our goodbye. How to move forward without him is still unknown, he was my rock.
I'm sorry for your loss. It's so difficult, and I wish you every comfort.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The ache of such a loss is palpable- I hope with time you and your wife will be able to find comfort in the wonderful memories and in knowing what a wonderful life he had wirth you. perhaps with time you will be able to provide a loving home once again for another lovely Golden.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I can see why Max stole your heart. His big personality leaves a big hole. Handsome with a sense of humor it looks like. That picture in the trapper hat is my favorite along with all the others 😄. A big snuggler.
He was so loved. One day at a time.

·
Kristy
10,430 Posts
Max was obviously a happy and well loved boy. I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that the life he had with you was better than that of more than half the people in the world. I'm glad you shared photos with us, it helps to talk with other Golden people and acknowledge that your boy was a life worth grieving. There will never be another Max, and you will never quit missing him. I know your home is terribly empty.
I hope you and your wife will begin considering the idea of loving another dog in the future. Normally I would never mention this to someone so soon after a loss, but it takes so long now to research and find a good breeder I wanted to make sure you know that it is not a quick process, there is a lot of demand and it can take a year or so to begin a search to the time you would actually bring a puppy home. One of the greatest testaments of love to a dog is wanting to have that kind of relationship and love in your life again someday. If you all use this forum to grieve and also start doing some reading on how you might move forward, it could be helpful in healing your heart. Give yourselves time and space to grieve, but I hope that you and your wife will let yourselves love again, you all sound like you are a wonderful dog family.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,
I
Hello,
i am so sorry for your loss Fabcor. I know my Oscar and Max are running and playing in heaven. Just take one minute, one hour and one day at a time. I am figuring this out myself but I am told only time helps us learn to live with this huge loss and one day we remember them fondness and not sadness.
I was watching an interview where someone said grief is just unexpressed love. I found it beautiful and comforting, thought would share with you.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Max was obviously a happy and well loved boy. I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that the life he had with you was better than that of more than half the people in the world. I'm glad you shared photos with us, it helps to talk with other Golden people and acknowledge that your boy was a life worth grieving. There will never be another Max, and you will never quit missing him. I know your home is terribly empty.
I hope you and your wife will begin considering the idea of loving another dog in the future. Normally I would never mention this to someone so soon after a loss, but it takes so long now to research and find a good breeder I wanted to make sure you know that it is not a quick process, there is a lot of demand and it can take a year or so to begin a search to the time you would actually bring a puppy home. One of the greatest testaments of love to a dog is wanting to have that kind of relationship and love in your life again someday. If you all use this forum to grieve and also start doing some reading on how you might move forward, it could be helpful in healing your heart. Give yourselves time and space to grieve, but I hope that you and your wife will let yourselves love again, you all sound like you are a wonderful dog family.
So well said. Our dogs live lives that half the worlds people could only dream of living. We cherish them.
And when I brought my next goldens home is when that huge whole in my heart began to fill in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would like to thank all of you very much for the comforting warm words. The last few days have been hard, being Christmas I guess makes it abit harder. When even thinking about another golden I feel guilty for thinking that someday we might, it’s like max would be crushed. I always said I would never get another after Max, and may have even told him that on occasions, lol. He knew how loved he was. The night we had to say goodbye he was on the table at the hospital, we walked in after seeing the dr, he looked up at us and wagged his tail 3 times. We rubbed him and told him how special he was, kissed him and said how good of a boy he was. I told him one day we will be together again but until then go have fun with others. As he laid there he lifted his head and looked at me, then looked a little father to look at his mom, then laid his head back down, I took that as his way of telling us it was time to part ways and it was ok. I pray to God that’s what he wanted, he was so tired and scared, if only he could tell me now he is ok. The only way to know that is we have to believe, as we move forward one day at a time I’m sure it will get a bit easier, but the emptiness is so strong. As I stand at his grave each morning and night, I picture him sauntering along dipping his nose in the cold snow, he loved making snow angels. To think we had almost 14 springs, 14, summers, 14 falls and 14 winters is amazing but so sad it has em come to in end. Not having the paw prints and trails in the fresh snow breaks our hearts.

Attachments

·
Kristy
10,430 Posts
...The last few days have been hard, being Christmas I guess makes it a bit harder. When even thinking about another golden I feel guilty for thinking that someday we might, it’s like max would be crushed.....Not having the paw prints and trails in the fresh snow breaks our hearts.
So many memories when a dog is such an integral part of life. It's hard because you're aware before you even open your eyes in the morning, before your feet hit the floor that the house is empty. I have to think that Max might have preferred not to share your home with another Golden while he was there, but I don't think he would hold you to a promise like life without a Golden when he wasn't there to fill your lives. A Golden is far too generous and loving to hold you to a promise like that....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts