Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently my puppy's food comes complete with hardware tools in the bag....I emptied a bag of her food to find a pair of vice grips inside! It's a well known quality food brand....

Would you rather contact the manufacturer, or the store you purchased the bag from?? Do you think they'll even care / do anything about it?

To be on the safe side, I purchased another bag and didn't feed her anything from that bag although I'm sure there's not much a metal tool can do to the food. It is just kind of strange....

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I'd contact the manufacturer definitely. You may want to mention it to the store owner, but really something like that is unlikely to be in all bags in a shipment and is a one time deal. Definitely let the food manufacturer know though!

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
I would contact both! That is awful!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Since when did they start including a Cracker Jack suprise in dog food?

Seriously, I would contact the manufacturer, you may even get a free bag out of it.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Look at it this way, you get a free pair of vice-grips. I would be surprised if the manufacturer didn't send you a free bag of food too.
You never know, they may want them back as "evidence" ;)

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
WOW!!! That makes me livid! Quality control is so lacking with some of these companies. Nutro had a plastic workers helmet that got chopped up and into the mix just recently. Will you share the brand with us? I would DEFINITELY raise cain with the manufacturer... let them know the lot # or some identifying code, and I'd also talk to the store where you bought it. And, personally, I'd be looking for a new food. If they can't control foreign objects like that, heaven only knows what else could be in there that ISN'T visible.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Call the company. They will probably at least send you coupons for some free dog food.

A few years ago, I opened a can of soup from a big soup company, and found a bloody band aid. Must have fallen off an employee. Nothing they could do, but send coupons, and said they would investigate. They also told me about their sterilization processes, and any germs would have been killed in the canning.

I threw away the coupons, and have never bought that brand again. Makes me sick to my stomach to think about it.

I went to the store I bought it at, all they could do was refund my money.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Call the company. They will probably at least send you coupons for some free dog food.

A few years ago, I opened a can of soup from a big soup company, and found a bloody band aid. Must have fallen off an employee. Nothing they could do, but send coupons, and said they would investigate. They also told me about their sterilization processes, and any germs would have been killed in the canning.

I threw away the coupons, and have never bought that brand again. Makes me sick to my stomach to think about it.

I went to the store I bought it at, all they could do was refund my money.
uhhh.... BARF!! :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

Maybe the vice grips are doggy version of the new free toy you get in a human box of cereal!

I would DEFINITELY be contacting both the manufacturer and the store too.

I can't even think of any reason why that tool would end up in a dog food factory?!??

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Please PM me too!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I've been through this scenario, but not with something as major as vice grips. I found kernels of corn in a bag of upper-end grain-free kibble. My Bentley is very intolerant to grains so it is kind of a big deal to me.

I took the bag back to the store I purchased it at. The owner immediately refunded my money and said she would fill out a form to attach to the bag and give it to the company rep when he came around the next time. I also e-mailed the company about the problem and provided the code and date from the bag of food. They e-mailed back with an apology and said they would mail me some coupons - which they did.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I'm a bit curious as to the company too, so if you don't mind sending a PM at me as well. :)

Oh, wait... you only have 4 posts. Isn't it like 15 before you can PM?

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Let's get to the important part....

What make are the vice grips?????????

Sorry, I have a tool fetish and couldn't resist.:doh:

Seriously, take it back to the store and get a refund and also contact the company for a chance at coupons.

Although an intact pair of vice grips is unusual, unfortunately foreign objects can and do appear in all processed foods. Most of them are too small to even be noticed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Lol funny to see all the replies on this!
A company rep actually phoned me today (as I sent an email last night). They were very nice about the whole thing, we kind of joked about the surprise tools in dog food. They were of course concerned though and said nothing like that has ever happened,etc. and they have all the info they need to know to find who was working the shift when that food was processed!! (Hate to be that guy)

Unfortunately they're sending me a pre-payed package to mail the vice grips back to them!! LoL (Mastercraft Vice Grips!) And they are sending me a 'gift' as well....I'm assuming it will be along the lines of coupons and not a tool set...haha.

Overall they treated it very quickly and nicely! And no, I don't have enough posts to pm yet if it is 15...

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Dang, I just knew it was a good set of vice grips. I would follow the rule of finders/keepers with those.:)

I hope they at least send you some really good coupons. Maybe you could hold them hostage until you see????

I'm glad it wasn't something truly bad and everyting is turning out well.:wavey:

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Lol funny to see all the replies on this!
A company rep actually phoned me today (as I sent an email last night). They were very nice about the whole thing, we kind of joked about the surprise tools in dog food. They were of course concerned though and said nothing like that has ever happened,etc. and they have all the info they need to know to find who was working the shift when that food was processed!! (Hate to be that guy)

Unfortunately they're sending me a pre-payed package to mail the vice grips back to them!! LoL (Mastercraft Vice Grips!) And they are sending me a 'gift' as well....I'm assuming it will be along the lines of coupons and not a tool set...haha.

Overall they treated it very quickly and nicely! And no, I don't have enough posts to pm yet if it is 15...
How about just telling us the name of the company on here then? As a food person, I am really interested in knowing and judging by the other responses, many other people are also quite interested.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
My brother bit into a Delissio? pizza once and chewed on a washer. He's lucky it didn't break his teeth. They sent us some coupons but we never used them.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Vise grips are probably from China.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts