Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some feedback on an annoying problem - Holly, age 11-1/2 weeks, constantly picks up sticks, rotten tree bark, leaves, rocks and other assorted forest litter every time I take her out to go to the bathroom or go for a walk. Since we live on the side of a mountain in a heavily forested area I cannot remove these distractions - also no lawns or fences are allowed in our development so I can't clean up a fenced-in area for her.

She is very quick to pick things up and I'm constantly pulling stuff out of her mouth - any advice? Thanks.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Same problem here...and worse, Tess has had diarrhea because of that habit for more than a week now. I'm working on "leave it", rewarded with very small treats, because I need so many :doh:. But it does work, very slowly. I tried putting a ball or a favorite toy in her mouth, but she doesn't seem to want that. In the beginning she always had the leash in her mouth, but since puppy class she is not allowed to do that anymore. I will be watching this thread!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Add me to the list! I often say that Josie must be part goat - she'll eat anything! She does pretty well with "leave it" if we are on a walk, but not when we are playing in the backyard. We have alot of trees surrounding our yard, and there was a big windstorm, then a snowstorm a couple of weeks back. Josie digs through the snow and finds sticks. She'll just sit in a snowbank and chew it. I can't entice her to play at all! I end up frustrated and practically dragging her in the house, because I am not going to stand out in below freezing temps while she chews a stick. (By the way, she has no interest on chewing on anything inside for more than 5 minutes - I've tried a bunch of different things.) With my luck, she'll refuse to go outside in the summer, when I love to sit outside all day! Its a really good thing she's so cute!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I walked Holly on a section (about 2 miles) of a paved multi-use path in our community today. She did extremely well with the "leave it" command - I actually say "hey, leave it" as the command. She was so good that one time I just got "hey" out and she literally spit the leaf she had out of her mouth. Of course once we got back home she immediately located some moldy tree bark and started munching away. :doh:

I like the "goat" comparison - Holly is definitely in that category.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Try using a leash and keeping some good little treats with your so you can train trade for whatever in their mouth. It will help for when they grab stuff in the house.

·
Hudsen, born 8-23-09
269 Posts
I just posted about the same thing! "Help! So Frustrated!" Hudsen constantly does this. We can never get in a good walk because he spends the whole time lying down chewing on sticks or sniffing rabbit poop! Jmamom, your post was toooooo funny!! That is Hudsen to the T!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try using a leash and keeping some good little treats with your so you can train trade for whatever in their mouth. It will help for when they grab stuff in the house.
Holly is always on a leash when outside the house, 11 weeks old on a property with no fences allowed, there is no other way - the fact that our "yard" consists of 1-1/2 acres of forest complicates matters. Every time, everywhere she puts her head down she has an opportunity to suck up leaf litter, tree bark or whatever.

As I said earlier, we are working on the leave it command and she is picking up on "treat training" very well so I expect things to get better, albeit slowly.:crossfing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts