Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am such a noob when it comes to Goldens and am reading this forum faithfully.

2 Questions:
-I wanted to get an idea of how much you think I should set aside for vet bills every year.
-What vet procedures should be done every year.

At the moment, money is a little tight but I intend to start a vet fund for my dog and am willing to sell a kidney if he (God forbid) gets sick.

Before Cocasse left the shelter he was seen by 2 vets. One felt he was perfectly fine while the other did a hernia repair. He also got what seems like a barage of needles and tests. The Vet Tech did mention I might want to get him a booster shot in the future but that otherwise he is healthy.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
958 Posts
During the prime years, say 2 years thru 8 years, if you are only dealing with the normal yearly vet visit (exam and vaccinations) we usually count on spending $250-$300 and that includes heartworm and flea meds for the year.

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
I'm not sure if you live in an area with ticks, but we do a SNAP4DX every six months to check for Heartworms, Lyme, Anaplasmosis, and Ehrichiosis. We also do a full CBC on any dog who has had a tick infection in the past at the same time.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Just be cautious they are not over vaccinating. I had one vet wanted to give some kind of vaccination or test every time I went in. I don't go there any longer. One way to kep those costs down are to learn about vaccinations & tests so you know what is necessary & what is not. If your dog had its vaccinations a whole lot more is not necessary. Yearly vaccinations are not recommended by most vet schools any longer but is a big part of a vets income. DO, get the heart worm tests and meds and have a check up. Those are very important.
Find a vet you like & who isn't just interested in money. There are a lot of good ones out there who truely care about the animals. Call around too or ask friends for recommendations. SOme vets are much less expensive than others.

·
New Mutt on the Block
79 Posts
I'd be interested to hear more what people are saying about vaccinations. My dogs have been on a 3-year schedule for rabies (required by law) and DHPP (vets around here don't routinely do Lepto given the problems with side effects from the vaccination and Lepto is a rarity here). I don't do Bordatella either since my dogs have not been boarded in forever - I'd do a booster if that situation came up and I've known too many dogs to get kennel cough anyway from a strain not covered by the vaccine than I'd care to count. Now our shelter vet (I'm on the board of a humane society) is saying that she is recently starting to recommend that owners go back to doing parvo only on an annual basis. Her feeling is that the virus is mutating to new strains so frequently now that the 3-year vaccination doesn't cut it anymore. She feels that distemper and the other vaccinations are thought to last perhaps up to 10 years, so the 3-year schedule is more than adequate for those. Is anyone doing parvo only annually?

Of course I'll be asking my own vet when I see him next, but heard this only recently. He is cautious about not over-vaccinating, especially older dogs, so I'll be interested in his opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts