Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

For Those People Who Think Black Golden Retrievers Are a Thing, Even Though They're Not

1571 Views 33 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  kiki2
This is a terrific post by Guide Dogs for the Blind. It's a must read by those folks who think black Golden Retrievers are a thing. They are a Lab-Golden cross and the post does a great job explaining the genetics. While deliberately producing a cross would be unethical for the purpose of selling puppies, in this instance, there is a long genetic history and study of the benefits LGXs produce in the service world. These puppies are never for sale.

Black AND Fluffy? Welcome, Neutrino!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,144 Posts
Wow that's insane!! But then some people also told me my golden is a lab because he doesn't look like a golden retriever called Tucker. I had to check who Tucker was... He has some YouTube videos? Do you all know this golden retriever? He lives in the US... Clearly I'm not very educated... My golden definitely doesn't look like him...

@GoldenDude I think I could make the mistake of thinking they were flat coated. But I haven't seen a flat coated puppy in real life either. But what you mention is true...
Yeah...we know Tucker.

Flat coats don't look that golden retriever-ish to me, the heads are different. Great dogs, I'd have one except I think they might be even more prone to early demise than goldens are.

· Registered
2,144 Posts
Can I ask why? I didn't watch all the videos. I understand that his owner has got another golden which is his son.. is this dog not from a good, ethical breeder in the US?
I'm not the best one to explain this but I read (here) that he didn't come from an ideal breeding situation and I haven't done a deep dive into it personally.

· Registered
2,144 Posts
I will admit I didn't watch all the videos 😬 I only saw one or two videos to see what he looks like (since random person kept insisting my golden is a lab 🤦🏽‍♀️). I don't know if he's famous in France or not. I feel that our responsible and ethically bred Goldens here with the exception of very few do not have the darker coloured coats (because of breed standards here).. I had no idea he probably had no titles or anything like that 😕 That's terribly disappointing if true. 🤦🏽‍♀️
I'm not sure what your dog looks like, but Tucker isn't a dark colored dog. Tucker is a medium gold, on his papers he'd be listed as just gold. (There are 3 choices, light gold, gold, dark gold) I'm sure you've seen this photo before, he'd be something between the 3rd and 4th from the left dogs. Probably closer to the 4th dog. (Unless he's changed a lot since I last saw one of his videos)
Sky Fawn Grassland Landscape Terrestrial animal

· Registered
2,144 Posts
Yes I have seen the pic before.. but it looks like compared to my golden perhaps Tucker is darker. My golden is not the lightest I have seen though among the ethical breeders here...
Yeah Tucker is darker than your dog, but your dog isn't a light as I was expecting either. You'd have to be nuts to mistake your dog for a labrador.

· Registered
2,144 Posts
Oh yes there are lighter ones definitely! I have seen them too and mine then looks darker in comparison 😅

Hahahahah I laughed really hard at your Labrador comment 🤣🤣 but this random person was convinced all Goldens look like Tucker and kept insisting it. Said Ramses is a yellow lab 😁🤦🏽‍♀️
That's ok. Mine's an "Irish Setter."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts