Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

For Those People Who Think Black Golden Retrievers Are a Thing, Even Though They're Not

1568 Views 33 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  kiki2
This is a terrific post by Guide Dogs for the Blind. It's a must read by those folks who think black Golden Retrievers are a thing. They are a Lab-Golden cross and the post does a great job explaining the genetics. While deliberately producing a cross would be unethical for the purpose of selling puppies, in this instance, there is a long genetic history and study of the benefits LGXs produce in the service world. These puppies are never for sale.

Black AND Fluffy? Welcome, Neutrino!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I sound stupid here but initially when I read your post title I thought of flat coated retrievers 🤦🏽‍♀️ also because I have seen one in our neighborhood and the French always describe them as black golden retrievers physically if people don't understand the breed.

Regardless, thanks for the article - was very eye opening and good luck to Neutrino 😊
With Goldadors being marketed as a thing (even though they're not), my goal is simply to educate puppy buyers that black Golden Retrievers are not a thing.

2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got in an internet fight with someone one time who tried to convince their black dog was a black golden retriever before finally admitting that they lied and he was a lab mix 😮‍💨
Whenever I'm puppy sitting a black, fluffy LGX and people ask about the puppy, I always launch into an explanation. Puppy buyers are too easily duped so I want to make sure I educate curious folks on an LGX and why ethically they should be limited to the service world. And, who knows, maybe I'll recruit a new volunteer puppy raiser!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts