Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

For those of you with lawns

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Goldndust 
#1 ·
I've been told by several people, including a nurse and my vet, that the chemicals used to kill lawn weeds are not safe for pets even if the companies say otherwise. With Brandy's questionable liver, I must be especially careful.

What does everyone else do? I'd sooner allow my yard to be mostly weeds than harm my kids. At least most of the weeds are green.

#3 ·
I have worked on golf course for years and I won't use anything on the area where the animals are. Don't believe the guys who put the chemicals down. They usually don't carry the applicator license. I've heard it too!! Some roundup or pre-emergents under mulch in a flowerbed would probably be ok.

#5 ·
We have our yard sprayed a few times a year, and the company that does it puts little flags all over the yard saying to keep your kids & pets off for 24 hours. I keep Lucy off it for a couple days to be sure.

#7 · (Edited)
I don't like the weed killers (2,4D especially)... I figure if plants can absorb it right through their leaves so too can people and pets absorb it through their skin... hey, think about it, why do they put up "Warning" signs? As far as I'm concerned the really serious aspect for both dogs and cats is that they get it on themselves from the morning dew and then come in the house and proceed to lick themselves... this canNOT be a good thing no matter how you look at it. We probably have one of the nicest lawns in the neighborhood (many say it is THE best looking lawn) and we are about the only ones on the block who do NOT use the TruGreen guys. Fertilizer is very safe for both humans and pets... and a thick, green lawn is its own weed preventative... so we mulch back into the lawn, fertilize only about 4-times a year, and deep water whenever the soil is dry down to at least 6" otherwise no additional water is given (this promotes deep root growth... which is a very good thing). Also never cut your grass shorter than 3" and during the warm summer months 4" or 5" is even better... if the weed seeds cannot contact the soil and/or 'feel' the sun, they cannot germinate and if sunlight cannot reach their leaves (most weeds are broadleaf and low lying) they cannot grow or thrive. A thick, healthy lawn cannot also support many weeds... the two just do not go together.

#9 ·
Anything that's high in nitrogen... that's the first number... and its got to be a timed-release nitrogen(well, except in spring... you'll then want high phosphorus and some more potassium as well... these are the second and third numbers on the bag... some experts also recommend this for the final fall 'feeding' but I usually don't bother). After years of doing lawn care, I am truly convinced that Scotts is the very best you can get... yes, it does cost a little more (usually about $3 or $4 more for a 20-lbs bag) but after trying the cheaper alternatives again and again, I just keep coming back to Scotts... instead of making your lawn a ridiculously dark 'unnatural' shade of green and having it grow like 'gangbusters' where you're mowing 2 or 3 times a week for 3-weeks and then having it quickly pale on you, Scotts gives it a slower greening, a natural green, and even steady growth for almost 4-months (though I never quite wait that long between fertilizings). And I usually apply it at just a tad over the amount suggested on the bag.

#17 ·
S.a.r.d.s.

My 8 year old Golden, Nugget, seemed to have difficulty getting around in the spring of 2003 - bumping into things, not being able to find his tennis ball when I would throw it, etc. We took him to our vets who told us to take him to Tufts to see a Veterinarian Opthalmologist. He was tested and found to have S.A.R.D.S. (Sudden Acquired Retinal Degeneration Syndrome). When the doctor first checked him over - she told us that his blindness could be caused from a brain tumor or S.A.R.D.S. Its weird when you find out the results and are relieved to hear your dog is "just" blind and has no brain tumor. When we asked what causes this, we were told they really aren't sure. Some vets believe its caused from pesticides put on lawns. I'll try to make this short - Nugget is completely blind but he doesn't know any difference. He's slower, walks into things on occasion, but with his sense of smell he manages to find me wherever I am in the house or outside!! (I don't think its because I smell funny he just knows my scent!!)

#22 ·
I was fortunate enough to be given a "clean slate" to start with. (sod) so I pull the weeds. When I clean up the dog-doo I do weed patrol also. Its frequent enough that its not overwhelming. I don't like to do the front yard as often because I don't have my pups with me out there. (too many kids and kids with other dogs to contend with)

Does anyone deal with their female dogs killing the grass? What do you do (if anything) about this? Has anyone tried the products out there to help the grass from this situation? Suggestions would be great, at the risk of hijacking a thread.:uhoh:

#23 ·
I don't use anything on my lawn since i've had the dogs around. My neighbors do though, makes me so mad cause many times they aren't careful and shoot some of it on my side.

I'm thinkin' though this summer the grass is gonna be mighty green cause that snowblower shot frozen poop sickles all over the place because I had to have a place blowed out for potty breaks for Kode with his broken foot. Brown specks all over out there when that happened. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.