Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you give them fish oil at all? My cats are having some dry skin issues and are itching a lot right now and since I added some fish oil to Murphy's diet I was wondering if I should do the same with the cats. I'm thinking of splitting one capsule between the 3 of them each day but don't really know if that's a good amount. Any suggestions?

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I give them a super high quality grain free food and some canned food, and I don't have any issues with their beautiful, long coats. If your cat will eat up a little canned food, you can mix the liquid in that (cut the capsule, or buy actual fish oil). I'd google, though. I haven't ever tried supplementing my cats' food.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Our dogs get fish oil, but we have never given any of our cats supplements of any kind. I don't really think it's necessary. We feed our cats a good quality dry food and the 4 of them share 2 small containers of wet food each day and we have never had skin issues with any of them at all .

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,076 Posts
We don't give our cat supplements either. Just dry food with a teaspoon of canned in the morning. She's 10 years old and still has beautiful soft fur.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I only give my boys canned food once a week because 2 of them are already overweight and they are on a diet. It's easier to give it more as a weekly treat. Does canned food tend to help with their coats? I have them on Purina ONE right now, have been for years. It's the only thing that agrees with all 3 of their stomachs that I've found.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Wet food should actually be given every day. It has water in it and helps to keep them hydrated, which cats need since they are so prone to urinary tract and renal problems.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
yes, a cat is going to be most healthy on an all wet, or primarily wet diet. Also, its been shown that food with fish in it (wet or dry) is bad for cats with urinary tract issues. I avoid it at all costs as I have one who has had past urinary issues, and I have a lot of male cats, who are most prone to them. A good quality food will keep your cats coat in good condition. Although I don't know if you could add something like coconut oil to a cats food. If they'd even touch it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wet food should actually be given every day. It has water in it and helps to keep them hydrated, which cats need since they are so prone to urinary tract and renal problems.
you know I have read that but I don't know if I can agree with it. My kitty is 15.5 years young and we reciently just moved and took her to the vet to get something to help her with the trip.. ;)

anyways the vet couldn't believe it was the same cat as he would have guess by her helth that she was about 5 years old.

She has alwasy been free fed dry food, SD for most of the time and reciently kirkland's cat food. the only issue we have ever had with her is **** hairballs causing her to throw up a lot. but haveing read a bunch of stuff I am going to change to a different food which has no grains, rice, corn, ect as I was reading that the carbs can cause the vomiting.

Steve

·
Registered
376 Posts
We switched our cats to grain-free wet food, and they have wonderful, shiny coats and are very healthy. Since the switch, our once 20 lb kitty has gone down to 16.2 lbs! He is much healthier and in better shape overall since the move to all wet. We also add water to the food to make it a bit soupy; helps them get in more water, and this is especially good for our 16 y/o female with renal failure.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wow...i dont know why, but this is so surprising to me! I always thought dry food was better than wet! I think i'll start giving them some wet food (i'll probably mix it 1/2 and 1/2 until they get used to it). Previously, when i've given them wet food, it makes them have the runs and that's no fun.

I just love the GRF! Never know what helpful tid bit of information you'll stumble upon! Thanks everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts