Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what type of whelping box works best. I know some people use kiddie pools but it seems like there is a danger there of squished puppies. I am fostering a pregnant bitch and have a wooden box with PVC bumpers.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,902 Posts
OOPS! I meant to say "bred puppies" not "bed puppies." I don't know how to edit this.
I fixed it for you.

You have up to 24 hours to edit a post including the title. Click on the three dots and select "Edit". There you can change your post including the Title, then select Save.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fixed it for you.
Thanks so much! I just figured out how to edit. Can you imagine whelping pups in your bed? Ha ha.
You have up to 24 hours to edit a post including the title. Click on the three dots and select "Edit". There you can change your post including the Title, then select Save.

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
I use the EZ Whelp FAB system with the pig rail insert. The kiddie pools can be safe, but I recommend putting pool noodles around the bottom edge.

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
THANKS. I don't understand exactly where the noodles go.
This is a pic I found with a Google search to illustrate what I'm talking about. I don't use the kiddie pool so I don't have a pic of my own to show you. Hopefully, this provides clarity as to what I meant. When I was debating whether or not to use the kiddie pool i saw these types of pics on the internet and realized they must be using the pool noodles like a makeshift pig rail.

·
Registered
6,678 Posts
I've probably used every brand and a few not-whelping-box solutions, too-
least expensive is of course the 'not-whelp-box' things such as pools (but a pool you need to put a towel under if you have tile floors so it doesn't slide all around the the cold from tile doesn't transfer up and when I have used pools I do not use noodles in them- that makes no sense to me anyway since a puppy is so small that the give of the noodle isn't going to stop pup from being squashed behind mama and if you watch and have light sleep it's not an issue) and my all time fave that's not a real whelp box, the WATERMELON BOX! They are 4X4 except their corners are cut off so it's really 8 sided... and if you have a store that displays watermelons, I am told they are reused all year long and the cost is around $40 to the store but I got Publix to give me two of them one time I was raising a litter of bassets from the pound and I ended up using the other on a litter of my own. I really love them and in all honestly, if I could buy those boxes I would use them every time over real whelp boxes. You DO have to cut a door in them, and if you find one, just save the cut out and put it in the bottom before you add padding.
Of the ones available for purpose, I like Magna box the best, then the newer EZ Whelp (not the classic which has built in pigrails that do not stay together and that's irritating and dangerous) and then probably Durawhelp. If you are only using this box once and will sell it after, reverse that order because it won't matter to you that the velcro on the durawhelp only lasts a couple litters and you will get closer to the money you spent back that way.

·
Super Moderator
3,580 Posts
I made my own whelping box. I am retired, didn't mind the project , and got exactly what I wants. Time consuming? Yes. But I didn't mind.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I haven't bred any litters but my friend used a raised flower bed made of PVC. She really liked it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone. I have a homemade 4x4 box that works well, but it is so heavy. I made it about 20 years ago.Thought I might look for an alternative in case I foster again. I think the raised flower bed sounds interesting since it would probably be a lot lighter.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Our whelping box is home made. A breeder/friend/mentor gave it to me some time ago.

It's about 4x4 made from cheap 1x12 pine. It has 1" dowels all around the inside so the puppies don't get squished.

Since this picture was taken (5 years ago next month - that's Pebbles with her puppies) it has been painted to make it easier to clean. Also, I am going to modify one of the sides so that it has a door on it. I want a door on it because the height of the sides is such that when Pebbles would go and out of it she would rub her milk machines on it which I thought (probably unfounded) might have contributed to her getting mastitis which was a really scary time.

I need to hurry up and make that door because we hopefully will need it in about 7 weeks. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts