Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it bug you when people say I have a migraine and they are still walking around and going on with their day? They really have no idea what a migraine is and all they really have is a regular headache. I have had migraines for years and when I get one that's it for the day or maybe two or three days if it's really bad. I see an aura that looks like really bright lights but when you close your eyes it's still there and I lose part or most of my vision. I have to lie down in a really dark room with no noise until it goes away which can take hours and sometimes I throw up too. I told someone I know that I had a migraine and couldn't leave the house to go out with them a couple of weeks ago and she said just take some advil and you'll be fine because I get migraines all the time and it works for me. I tried to tell her that she just has headaches and not migraines and she got all mad at me. Sorry for the rant but this just really bugs me and i know it must bother other migraine sufferers as well.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I haven't really had anyone say that to me, but I do get migranes a lot. I actually had one today; this afternoon. Mom and I went to do errands. I was feeling great, no problems when we left. I felt it coming on and of course I didn't remember to bring my excedrin along (which is the only thing that isn't prescription that works for my migranes). I didn't want to go home, but I really couldn't function and was like a zombie wandering around the mall and ate little at dinner. I have sensitivity to light and nausea associated with mine. I had to take a nap when I got home just to relieve the pain (plus excedrin). It was 7pm and now it is past midnight and I can't sleep.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
They are expanding the definition of migraines. We have some kids at school with abdominal migraines - they manifest as severe cramps. And level of pain associated with a "migraine" ranges from moderate to severe. A lot of people can get by with Excedrine Migraine and a lot require strong prescriptions.

I get an ocassional sinus headache that is very migraine-like - severe pain, nausea, sensitivity to light and odors. Bedrest, Vicodin, heatingpad and all of my usual allergy meds are of limited help.

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are expanding the definition of migraines. We have some kids at school with abdominal migraines - they manifest as severe cramps. And level of pain associated with a "migraine" ranges from moderate to severe. A lot of people can get by with Excedrine Migraine and a lot require strong prescriptions.

I get an ocassional sinus headache that is very migraine-like - severe pain, nausea, sensitivity to light and odors. Bedrest, Vicodin, heatingpad and all of my usual allergy meds are of limited help.
I have never heard of abdominal migraines before that sounds terrible. I try to use excedrin migraine as much as I can but if I have a really bad one I have to take a stronger pain pill.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I have suffered from migraines since I was 13. But after awhile you get used to them. Not the most severe, of course. But if I didn't go to work every time I had a flair up, I'd be fired! I have tension headaches that spread to become migraines if not treated quickly.

So no, it doesn't bother me. People have different levels of tolerance and pain. It is frustrating when people don't always understand, but I think most people with any kind of chronic pain would say that too. I figure if people don't understand that must mean they are lucky enough to not get headaches.

I think part of the problem is that so many people refer to a headache as a migraine. They are definitely different things!

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't really had anyone say that to me, but I do get migranes a lot. I actually had one today; this afternoon. Mom and I went to do errands. I was feeling great, no problems when we left. I felt it coming on and of course I didn't remember to bring my excedrin along (which is the only thing that isn't prescription that works for my migranes). I didn't want to go home, but I really couldn't function and was like a zombie wandering around the mall and ate little at dinner. I have sensitivity to light and nausea associated with mine. I had to take a nap when I got home just to relieve the pain (plus excedrin). It was 7pm and now it is past midnight and I can't sleep.
I totally know how you feel. I see an aura before i get a migraine so I know that no matter what I'm doing I have to go home and that the rest of my day will be ruined.

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have suffered from migraines since I was 13. But after awhile you get used to them. Not the most severe, of course. But if I didn't go to work every time I had a flair up, I'd be fired! I have tension headaches that spread to become migraines if not treated quickly.

So no, it doesn't bother me. People have different levels of tolerance and pain. It is frustrating when people don't always understand, but I think most people with any kind of chronic pain would say that too. I figure if people don't understand that must mean they are lucky enough to not get headaches.

I think part of the problem is that so many people refer to a headache as a migraine. They are definitely different things!
That's exactly what i was saying about how just a headache is so much different than a migraine. I can't do anything when I get one because I lose most of my vision and can only see the bright lights from the migraine aura.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts

Mine started about when I was 13 years old, too. They were worse back then, but I remember that almost everyday I would get one in school. I would have to take a nap everyday just to get rid of them. I had some really severe ones and I broke down crying because the pain was so bad; I couldn't even sleep.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I totally know how you feel. I see an aura before i get a migraine so I know that no matter what I'm doing I have to go home and that the rest of my day will be ruined.
Ugh, I know. If I don't have any medicine on me... it is not pretty.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I get migraines, but only occasionally do I get auras. I get nausea. Luckily I do not get them that often, and I usually can function at work until I get home. Luckily I only get one every month or 2. Come to think of it, they seem to be less often now that I started to avoid nutrasweet.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I try and educate people.
I have what they call complicated /complex migraines with aura. I've had migraines since i 8 years old, I developed worse symptoms in my 30s.

Abdominal migraines are common in children, and mistaken for stomach issues many times. Looking back I had those as well. They can also be genetic...mine are, from my moms side.

Auras cover a huge range of symptoms, I get super hearing and smell, light sensitivity, visual auras that range from graphic shapes to simple floats, and I'm blessed with stroke like symptoms from time to time....along with head pain. Symptoms can start 2-3 days prior to head pain, and you have 2-3 days recovery. People really don't understand the full force these things take out on the body.

My least favorite comment, well you look fine so it can't be that bad. Sometimes I wish I looked as bad as I felt...but I have to work and live.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
my sil gets them @ least once a week, she s had them for years...she is on furicet sp? And she is now addicted to them, pops them like candy...she s tried botox shots, acupuncture and several other procedures.. I feel bad for her, she calls me when she can't take the pain any more, I go over and rub her head for her, til she falls asleep....she's lucky she works from home, so she can get her work done during the nite, if need be....

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I have had migraines since my youngest daughter was born. But since I developed fibromyalgia they are worse. I have auras, sensitivity to light, smell and sound. If I catch it early, I can beat it with my meds, Fiorinal with codeine. If I don't, I have to go to bed in a dark room. I have gotten better and getting my meds early. I am aware Fiorinal is addictive. I am very careful to take only for a bad migraine.

I feel bad for anyone who has real migraines. My husband gets bad sinus headaches but he has no clue what a migraine is.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Anyone who takes Advil for a "migraine" doesn't have a migraine! LOL

I've been getting migraines since I was a teenager. I also get tension headaches that will turn into a migraine if I don't take Excedrin. Although sometimes the migraine will happen no matter what I do. I have learned to function when I have a mild migraine, usually because I don't have any other choice.... it's not fun and definitely makes it worse.

I take Maxalt (prescription) and that works better than anything I've ever taken. I just started acupuncture, mainly for the headaches since I've been getting them more frequently lately. Not sure it'll impact my migraines but it seems to be helping the multi-weekly headaches I get.

·
Kate
21,676 Posts
I've been getting migraines since I was a teenager. I also get tension headaches that will turn into a migraine if I don't take Excedrin. Although sometimes the migraine will happen no matter what I do. I have learned to function when I have a mild migraine, usually because I don't have any other choice.... it's not fun and definitely makes it worse.

Same here...

And I work with a lot of people who do the same. It's a fact of life when you have people working long hours in a very high stress environment. I keep a supply of excedrin in my desk for all of us. Unfortunately, it is not an excuse for taking off and going home.

If I didn't take excedrin when I feel the warning signs coming on... then it would be pretty bad. Way back before I figured this out, I would use our supply closet to tuck my head between my knees and recover as best as I could.

I do know people who claim to have migraines simply because it's a lot more dramatic than saying they have a headache. Since they refuse to take anything for it and continue to watch TV.... yep.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I'm my office supplier of Excedrin too. I have the Costco sized huge bottle in my desk. The reason I'm going to acupuncture is because it got to the point where I was taking Excedrin literally every day. No fun. Fingers crossed that it works!

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
I sympathize with the frustration of having people equate an ordinary headache with a migraine. I started having migraines in my late 40's and didn't know what they were at first, thinking I had a virus that caused the severe headaches and sudden nausea. Eventually I recognized a "trigger" for them - beef, especially if eaten with red wine. (Actually the issue is probably hormones and antibiotics in the meat, not the meat itself.) Later peanuts and peanut products added to the list. I have friends for whom wheat, chocolate, and/or aged cheese are triggers. For me, eliminating the trigger foods pretty much stopped my migraines.

The one medication that was quick and effective at blocking a migraine was Midrin, but it is no longer available, thanks to an unwelcome crusade by the FDA.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I'm my office supplier of Excedrin too. I have the Costco sized huge bottle in my desk. The reason I'm going to acupuncture is because it got to the point where I was taking Excedrin literally every day. No fun. Fingers crossed that it works!
Same here... Love those Costco sized bottles. I used to take ibuprofenhttps://www.google.com/search?hl=en...gG8_JnqCQ&ved=0CC8QvwUoAQ&q=ibuprofen&spell=1 everyday in middle school/high school when I got headaches and it eventually stopped working. Then I discovered excedrin. I used to have to take it almost everyday, but thankfully my headaches died down a bit (at least the frequency).

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I have had migraines since my youngest daughter was born. But since I developed fibromyalgia they are worse. I have auras, sensitivity to light, smell and sound. If I catch it early, I can beat it with my meds, Fiorinal with codeine. If I don't, I have to go to bed in a dark room. I have gotten better and getting my meds early. I am aware Fiorinal is addictive. I am very careful to take only for a bad migraine.

I feel bad for anyone who has real migraines. My husband gets bad sinus headaches but he has no clue what a migraine is.
It's funny you say that. I'm currently dealing with the worst sinus infection I've ever had. I have pounding, throbbing pain in the left side of my face as well as into my upper and lower jaw. Every footstep causes pain, every movement of my head causes me to groan in pain. I spend 99% of my day blowing my nose, inhaling steam, and massaging my face. A couple of nights ago I couldn't even watch TV, so I spent my night doing what I normally do when I have a migraine - lying in bed in the dark, trying not to cry, and clutching my face.

So sometimes sinus headaches can be pretty bad, don't discount them as something superficial. :(

Well, my water is ready, time to go inhale more steam! :wavey:

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I always get a migraine a day or two before my period. I'm not sure why, just do.

I get nauseated, sensitive to light, and my head just POUNDS to the point where I feel dizzy.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts