Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Food

708 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  goldencrazy 
#1 ·
OK so my litte one will be 3 months old November 8th, right now she's on Pedigree Puppy... the yellow bags.

What food do you recommend from here on ?

What is a Science Diet ?? what is the best brand ?

Also amounts, I think she's eating 3 cups right now... is that Ok ?

Any advice on treats ?? I give her aims puppy.

I would like for her eat the best.. but I'm not sure what brand etc to go with.

#3 ·
I don't think you want finances to dictate what you feed your puppy. You got to choose what will help your puppy thrive.

We started Samson with Purina ONE - Large breed Puppy, also. After reading a lot on the forum, I felt like I was letting Samson down by sticking with Purina... So we tried Iams...but Samson just wouldn't eat it very well. So we went back to Purina One, and he starting eating again.

We've recently switched to Purina Beneful and Samson LOVES it. I've also been giving him a can of Purina Alpo Prime Cuts. He goes nuts for it...

#4 ·
Maggie is a very picky eater...... we went thur several different kinds of food before we found one she would eat........ It is Innova..... I am very happy with this food and there coats are very soft and shiny , no allergies.... etc...... They all are eating it now...

#6 ·
I feed my 5 month old puppy, Tinkerbell, Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy she loves it. I really like it to because it's not too expensive, gives smaller less frequent piles, and is available at all the pet stores.

Tinkerbell is 35 pounds and she only gets 3 - 3 1/2 cups a day. I mix in a few frozen or fresh veggies and a spoonful of canned. If you go to the nutro website and sign up for their mailing list they will send you coupons for a free small bag, and coupons for their canned and dry food as well as their treats. If you buy a bag at Petsmart if you don't like it they will give you your money back as long as you bring in the bag even if it is empty. If you buy it a a smaller store (not a national chain) then Nutro will buy your 11th bag for you. I pay $27 for a 40 pound bag sometimes they even have a special and it is a 50 pound bag.

Goldens are known for easily getting over weight so I really watch what treats I give. I've learned to read a lot of labels. I use any of the jerky all meat treats you can get these at any pet store and Wal-mart and Sam's carry them too. They come in chicken, beef, lamb, and a few other more exotic meats. Tinkerbell also loves Charle Bears. They are liitle round biscut type treats and they come in a couple of flavors and are only 3 calories each. So she can have quite a few. She also likes anything by Old Mother Hubbard.

#8 ·
I had Buffy on Beneful for a couple years and she loved it. Last fall, she developed itchy & dry skin with a dull coat due to something in the grass. At that time, in order to help her overall skin condition, I switched her to Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice. In addition, I give her extra oils (fish and safflower) and her coat is again lustrous and shiny. She likes the Nutro a lot too. Then Abby came on the scene in December and she inherited the same food and likes it a lot too. Although I do mix in 1/2 can moist food of varying brands and flavors just to give them a variety. They each get 2 cups dry and 1/2 can moist per day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.