Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today Duffy was quiet in the kitchen for 2 minutes so I knew something was up. Sure enough, he had his head in the food bag. I wish I had a pantry or a closed door to store the food behind but, alas, I do not.

Looking for a nice stackable food storage bin for dog food - have two dogs, two different kinds of food.

The ones I saw on the Walmart website are not air tight - wondering if my dog will soon figure out how to shove that lid up and help himself.

Does anyone use the stackable bins - if so, which ones work for you and where did you get them?

Thank you!
Kris

·
Registered
4,934 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We keep ours in a closet in our basement, so our dogs can't get at them, but they do close pretty tightly, so I don't think the dogs would be able to get into them very easily. We got them a little over a year ago and I think we had to order them online. I have never seen them in the stores.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
I use a bin made by a company called Iris. They all are airtight and have a latching handle to keep the dogs out! They come in a variety of sizes designed to fit standard bags of food. Some have casters and others are sized to fit into lower kitchen cabinets.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I think Petsmart sells stackable bins. I have 2 airtight ones that that I bought there, they are not stackable, but I store them side by side..I had a problem with ants one summer.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I use something like this. I have two medium size boxes, stacked in the corner of my kitchen. I don't know if mine are the same size as the ones in the pic, but I can fit a large bag of dog food into the two containers. The covers lock into place. Rookie has never shown an interest in getting into the boxes and they are right next to his bed. A VERY determined dog might be able to get into them, but it wouldn't be a 'nudge open' kind of thing.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I use the stackable Vittles Vaults also. Screw on lid. Goldens are smart but they don't have thumbs!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
The Vittle Vaults work great. You can find them at many pet stores and websites. Just do a google on them. They are not cheap but well worth the price.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
VITTLE VAULT....VITTLE VAULT....VITTLE VAULT!
Ours is a decade old and looks great...air tight...screw top...TOUGH!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
After an incident where the dogs broke into the food bin and binged to the point they almost bloated we invested in VITTLE VAULTS............almost, repeat, almost, indestructible. Our senior Barkley did drag a full large bin by his teeth from the back of the house to the front of the house once when he was on steroids (no more steroids for him!). He left tooth marks in it, but wasn't able to open it since he doesn't have thumbs.
They make several sizes and you can stack them.

·
Registered
5,005 Posts

·
rose
497 Posts
i use n ordinary rubbish bin with the lid on the cats can open it and munch but the dogs dont used it for years and they have never eaten any of the contents

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ended up ordering the stackables from Wal-Mart. The price was right and I will have them wedged into the corner behind the trash bin so hopefully he won't get at them! Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Kris

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Vittle Vaults are defintiely secure. If pouring the food into the container, please make sure it is food safe and phythalate free. We've gone to stainless steel containers from petedge. Sadly, I don't think they have them anymore. However, ours are air tight but not secure, but they're kept up our of reach of the puppers.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I plan on getting some of the vittles vaults. Pet Edge online usually has them for a decent price or pet food direct. Watch for free shipping coupons.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts