Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mayers momma
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched my golden to Evo turkey and chicken about 4 months ago because she had a huge raw, infected spot on her stomach and had been on antibiotics for over a month and nothing worked, i had my vet do a cluture and everything and they wanted to put her on more antibiotics for a longer period of time so I decided to try no grain and see if that would help it did cleared it up perfectly and she hasn't had any other skin problems since then. She does really well on the EVO but it is almost too expensive so I was wondering what is another near equal quality food that is grain free that is cheaper that I could maybe mix in with the Evo to help with the cost? I don't want to take her off of the EVO because I have had such good luck with it, and also what is a good place online to buy pet food? Thanks!

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
I have my golden on Taste of the Wild roasted wild fowl formula, which is grain free. Her ear infections cleared up and have not come back after she went on a grain-free food. It isn't an inexpensive food, however. I think I pay around $50 for a 35-pound bag. I've never ordered food online due to the outrageous shipping costs, but I know some forum folks have, so hopefully they will offer some suggestions.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I've been feeding mostly grain free and lower carb foods the last couple years to my dogs, because my senior Bentley seems intolerant to lots of grains. He would get ear infections, hot spots, etc. At the moment, I'm feeding 1/2 EVO Turkey and Chicken with 1/2 Healthwise Chicken Meal and Oatmeal Adult.

At $1 per lb. the Healthwise is a lot less expensive than EVO. It's made by Natura, as is EVO, so the sourcing of ingredients and the vitamin pre-mix should be the same. After feeding this 50/50 blend for 2 months, Bentley is doing well with no ear or skin problems. The oatmeal and brown rice in the Healthwise don't seem to be a problem. Maybe something to consider.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts