Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2 yr old golden retriever, i am currently living with my parents. since i have bin living there, she has developed food aggression towards other animals, and also growls at anyone in the house other then me, i have told everyone that they need to be more dominant than her and they say they are, but when i see them together i see angel thinks she is more dominant. and is sometimes aggressive if the other animals goes near her toys or crate, also she growled at next doors little girl when she went to stroke her while she was in her crate. how can i stop this, as mum has said she has had enough and wants her out if she carries on, and i cant bare to rehome her, and also dont have the money at the moment to get a behavioist out, please could someone help

i have tried putting treats in her bowl but she don't really get the idea.

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have a 2 yr old golden retriever, i am currently living with my parents. since i have bin living there, she has developed food aggression towards other animals, and also growls at anyone in the house other then me, i have told everyone that they need to be more dominant than her and they say they are, but when i see them together i see angel thinks she is more dominant. and is sometimes aggressive if the other animals goes near her toys or crate, also she growled at next doors little girl when she went to stroke her while she was in her crate. how can i stop this, as mum has said she has had enough and wants her out if she carries on, and i cant bare to rehome her, and also dont have the money at the moment to get a behavioist out, please could someone help

i have tried putting treats in her bowl but she don't really get the idea.
Hi-- I don't have too much experience in this realm, just wanted to say don't give up. For now, be cautious with her around other animals & kids. In fact, I probably would warn kids against petting her if you're really uneasy about it.

Also be careful with 'dominance issues'... sometimes the dominance theories get people even with the best of intentions in more trouble then they started out with.

Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi-- I don't have too much experience in this realm, just wanted to say don't give up. For now, be cautious with her around other animals & kids. In fact, I probably would warn kids against petting her if you're really uneasy about it.

Also be careful with 'dominance issues'... sometimes the dominance theories get people even with the best of intentions in more trouble then they started out with.

Good luck!
hello, thank you, no im not going to give up, she means way to much to me i have to try.

ya i think thats the problem, both my mum and dad do everything to be dominant over the dogs.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
You need to work with her using the Nothing In Life is Free. You can find alot of information on the web about it. Also with the resource guarding, never take something away from her wihtout trading her for the item. If she growls and you go and rip it away really fast that actually accelerates the guarding. When she is eating throw a peice of food into the bowl when walking by so she will associate people with good stuff coming near her.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts