Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 month old puppy hasn’t been finishing his food recently. He has been eating Iams large breed smart puppy since we got him, as it was the food the breeder used. He has been fine health wise and plays around normally. Is a food change necessary, and what brand of food should I use? He is eating apples, bananas as needed.

·
Kate
22,107 Posts
How much are you feeding him? About how much does he eat?

It could simply mean he needs less food.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Apples and Banana's why? Not typical for a puppy or even for a dog! How often are you feeding and how much are you feeding. Is the pup losing weight?

Your pup is old enough to go to an adult food for large breeds. If you change make the change slowly adding a little each feeding for a few weeks. If the puppy gets diarrhea, discontinue the switch to a new food and change brands....and try again. I use Purina Pro Plan Sport...our dogs have always liked it with no problems....

·
Kate
22,107 Posts
Well... why do WE eat apples?

It's a good source of vitamins + healthier than eating JUNK FOOD. :)

I just wish he loved blueberries as much as he loves apples - because BB's are loaded with good stuff for dogs health.

Supposedly both apples and bb's are good anti cancer foods.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Well... why do WE eat apples?

It's a good source of vitamins + healthier than eating JUNK FOOD. :)

I just wish he loved blueberries as much as he loves apples - because BB's are loaded with good stuff for dogs health.

Supposedly both apples and bb's are good anti cancer foods.
Thanks....I am not trying to be a pain! I have done the same with my Golden's over the years. All of our Golden's died from cancer over the last 25-30 years.

During that time I did a lot of readying and talking to vets and I found out that many forms of cancer rely on carbohydrates, so it was only natural to cut way back on carbs I feed my dogs, it seems to have helped with longevity on my last two and so far for the two I have now...

Also, I became a diabetic during this same time and have learned to eat less then 50 carbs a day to manage my diabetes and weight. Of course, most all fruit is out, as it is high in carbs! The only exceptions are a few blueberries or 2-3 strawberries are ok for me.

My two current Goldens get no food other then their PPP Chow with a few green beans. I also give them fresh cucumber when my garden gets in full production, they absolutely love cucumbers...

So, to each his own, but I do share my life experience for the good of Goldens everywhere....but that's just me!

I really do enjoy many of your posts....

·
Kate
22,107 Posts
No problem. :)

I expect my dogs to die from cancer. Sadly, it's what kills our dogs if they don't die from something else sooner. I just aim to get them to live 12+ years.

Apples, to me - are healthier than a lot of other things that people give their dogs without thinking about it.

And they are cheap. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much are you feeding him? About how much does he eat?

It could simply mean he needs less food.
He usually eats 1.5 cups in the morning and 1.5 cups in the evening. 2 times a day. Lately, he leaves about half a cup both times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No problem. :)

I expect my dogs to die from cancer. Sadly, it's what kills our dogs if they don't die from something else sooner. I just aim to get them to live 12+ years.

Apples, to me - are healthier than a lot of other things that people give their dogs without thinking about it.

And they are cheap. :D
My pup also eats mangoes, cucumbers and carrots

·
Kristy
10,065 Posts
What Megora said. Your puppy has finished with the major growth spurts and simply doesn't need that much food. Depending on his activity level and how many treats he gets, he may even only need 3/4 cup per meal. Just keep an eye on his body condition and bump his serving size up a bit on busier weeks and back down when you're less active with him. Your boy is better off being on the leaner side of normal than on the heavier side.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I occasionally give a little piece of banana or blueberries to my dogs. They like them frozen. I’ve tried little pieces of apples too. Logan passed on a piece of baby carrot.

I’m still giving Logan 1.5 cups of food twice a day and he weighs 66 pounds at 17 months. He’s very active. I just base it on his weight. If he starts nudging upwards, I will reduce his food.

if your dog isn’t eating all his food and his health is fine, he doesn’t want that much food. One cup twice a day is fine. It’s what my last Golden ate as an adult.

·
Registered
8,096 Posts
My dogs eat all sorts of "human food". Carrots, broccoli, zucchini, cucumber, tomato, blueberry, melon, etc. Aside from their daily carrot (which I use instead of like a hard dog cookie) when I leave for the day, the rest is occasional only (for instance frozen bananas make amazing stuffing for kongs). I don't think it's unusual or weird to include that in their diets. Our vet has always maintained as long as their weight is still ideal, and we're not feeding more "human food" than kibble, it's fine as a treat.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts