Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my fellow Golden friends. I know which food we chose to feed our dogs is very personal and some have strong opinions. Before I even brought my guys home I spent weeks studying and reviewing which food was the best for him. I started him out on high end puppy formula that I bought at my local tack store. It kills me that I cannot recall the name. My vet felt like he needed a different food after about 2 years because he was becoming a BIG boy. I moved him to 4 health chicken formula (A new Tractor Supply was close to my house and the price was about 25.00 cheaper per bag) and he slimmed up and I felt at ease that his hips were not having added pressure. His ear infection started becoming more frequent and it became a roller coaster of treatments from that point on. No matter what food we tried, it remained the same. Finally I came to the decision it was just his genetics. About two years ago we moved and Griffin's ear infection were happening monthly and worse than ever. I switched him to 4 health grain free.

Griffin started to develop these twitches. Only happening when he barked. We of course took him to the vet and he checked out healthy. Blood results were perfectly fine. During this time we were still batteling ear infections on and off. I went into a big box pet store and was speaking to a sales person who told me I should try a whole different meat...try duck he said. I switched him over to Buffalo Blue Duck formula and I wish I could reverse time. The twitched became very frequent and one day he had a full blown grand mal seizure. Back to vet we went and they ran so many tests, all checked out fine. They concluded that it may be a brain tumor, but the only way to know was through a MRI. My fiance started doing research to which he discovered a ton of reviews on this exact food and seizures where a common topic. I took him off and within 2 week the twitches decreased drastically. He is back on 4 health and now his skin is constantly itching him and he is shedding way more than the usual golden shed. Way more...........
He is on no meds for the seizures as my vet said it was not worth the side effects. Thank goodness for that since the twitching has really decreased. It's now weekly vs 20 times a day.

He is 7 years old and I am convinced he has major food sensitivities. never does it effect his stomach just ears, skin, and neuro. I would love feedback on what food has been a great one for others as well as supplements. I've heard great things about wellness, california natural, taste of the wild, natural balance, and evo. Their food is so expensive and trial by error sucks when it effects their health.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I second the Acana suggestion, I have had wonderful results feeding it to my own dogs. The singles lime is pretty good if you are looking to eliminate possible allergens.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
If you are looking for a good quality, grain free food from at a halfway reasonable price at TSC, try Grain Free Earthborn.

I had a dog that had seizures years ago, and in those days I did not know to track daily things in a log, but as I think back about certain things, I think the trigger for hers was either the heartworm medicine or flea repellent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts