Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Look at that face...
89 Posts
Wow, what a variety of answers!

We were feeding Blue Buffalo chicken and rice, he was getting 2 1/2 cups per day so that lasted about a month for a 30 lb. bag. ($45)

We've switched to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, which is a 35 pound bag. He gets 3 3/4 cups per day of that one due to fewer calories per cup. Still trying to work out just how much he's going to need though.

I didn't think we could afford Innova or Wellness based on how much he would eat, but maybe we can based on what I am reading here.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have 4 of my 6 dogs on the same food. 2 Goldens, a dachshund, and my mix breed. The 3 large dogs all get 2 cups of food, and the doxie gets 1/2 cup. I go through 3-4 bags, 20#, a month (outside dog eats more in winter) depending. I try not to think about how much food I buy and what the costs are. :eek: :doh:

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Tinkerbell gets 2 cup of kibble a day, and a 26# bag of Core lasts a good 7 weeks, almost 8. It runs me $54

I've started mixing in TOTW still feeding the same amount but the bag is 30# for $42.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts

We were feeding Blue Buffalo chicken and rice, he was getting 2 1/2 cups per day so that lasted about a month for a 30 lb. bag. ($45)

We've switched to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, which is a 35 pound bag. He gets 3 3/4 cups per day of that one due to fewer calories per cup. Still trying to work out just how much he's going to need though.

I didn't think we could afford Innova or Wellness based on how much he would eat, but maybe we can based on what I am reading here.
When you actually sit and figure out how much it costs per meal, versus bag. The more expensive bags almost always end up saving you money or at least cost you no more.

·
Registered
50 Posts

If you look at kcal/cup Innova has one of the highest I have seen 557 kcal/cup which is nice for not having to feed a lot dog/day. It has been great for keeping weight on our very active lab without her having to eat 4+ cups a day herself. However I would say if you do end up switching start below what they recommend since it is very easy to make your dog fat on it.

Also you can at least get an esitimate of how long a bag will last as they have their food listed at 5.6oz=1 cup so a 33 lbs bag should produce around 94 cups. Divide by the amount of cups that you think you will feed per day and you have approximately how many days the bag will last.

I was having trouble with the wellness site so am not sure on them.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts