Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i posted awhile ago about starting my golden on the orijen 6 fish she was slowly switched over and was on the orijen for a week when she would not eat it and would walk away even with warm water on it to entice her a little bit....i then switched her to the fromm chicken a la veg she has been on that since feb 9 and i have noticed her chewing on her paws alot and then this morning when she went out to do her morning business she peed and peed and then i noticed that it was blood she was peeing i took her to the vet and her white blood count was extremely high it seems this has come on all of a sudden she has been fine we didn't notice anything over the weekend so she is on an antibiotic for 10 days and the vet believes it is from the food and has recommended that we change it. she also said to stay away from the all life stages food because there is a higher fat and protein percentage and that could lead to weight gain and to stay with an adult food so my question is what food to put her on i am confused i have read alot and researched on this forum but really don't know she suggested science diet, medi-cal or the royal canin....all i want is for her to be on a good food so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Being in Canada, I dont know all the different brands that you have but hopefully one of our canadian friends will have some answers for you. Hopefully you will find something that she likes and can tolerate. I dont know how a food would cause a high white blood count. It sounds like she has a UTI and the antibiotics will help. Good luck.

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
i have reccommended to use royal canin. expensive i know but my research seems to point to it being an excellent food.
unless of course others know different as i am relying on breeder advice.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I would discuss with your vet the exact problem, and why he thinks a certain food would cause this. It does sound like a uti...dogs don't just start peeing blood and have raised white cell count because of food. I guess I would expect a better answer from a vet then "change the food" after something like that.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i agree that it couldn't just be the food causing this and that it is an infection. when i went to the vet this morning i took an empty bag of fromm with me to show her the food she has been on the vet said that the problem could be from the different levels of enzymes in the food and that could be causing her to have the infection.she said she could be reacting to the food and because she has been chewing on her paws alot lately that could be another indicator. i honestly do not know what to think she is on the medication claraseptin for ten days and then will be re-checked to make sure it has cleared up. i just wasn't sure if this could really be from the food or is it because the vet doesn't agree with the food i am feeding her i asked how did she get this and that was the answer i was given. i just want to do what is best for my dog and was hoping you guys would be able to help me out with your thoughts and opinions.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Both of the foods you have fed, Orijen and Fromm 4 Star, are excellent foods. Could it be possible that your dog stopped eating because she was getting this infection and sick and not because she didn't like the food anymore? I am more inclined to believe that the infection is the culprit here and not her diet. However, if you want to try a different food I would steer clear of Science Diet and try Innova or California Natural. If you want grainfree and want something other than Orijen you can try Wellness Core or EVO. Since the paw itchies started with the chicken based food I wonder if she was eating chicken before and did she have any issues with that protein source. You may want to try a food with another protein source. Wellness Core make a fish based food as well.

I think I would press the vet for a more in depth explanation as to why he thinks her illness is food related. What in the food would be the problem, etc. and then do your research on appropriate foods. In my opinion it sounds sort of like he's just trying to make himself some money by selling you food he carries. Good luck and let us know how she is doing.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you so much for you thoughts i really appreciate it.the food she was on since we brought her home was prescription diet p/d she didn't have any problems on that food she just wouldn't eat it anymore and went days before she would eat i mixed organic baby food with it to entice her and then decided to switch her food altogether the vet said to just leave her that dogs won't starve but i felt bad that she wasn't eating so yes it makes me think that this has been brewing maybe for awhile and that is why her white blood cell count was so high. when she was on the orijen it was the 6 fish she just wasn't crazy about it and now today i have been feeding her the fromm salmon a la veg she has been on the chicken a la veg since feb 9 i believe. i am reluctant to switch her food so often i would like her to be on a good food that works for her but if i need to switch then i will. she has to go back to the vet in 10 days to get re-checked to make sure the infection has cleared up. poor maddison though she just keeps peeing blood and sometimes are worse than others and all the hair around where she pees is soaked in blood and it drips so we are wiping her and helping clean her up everytime she goes she is trying hard to keep herself clean. there has been absolutely no blood or sign of anything until today we walk her many times a day and there is alot of snow so we would have noticed and i am home all day with her it just worries me why it seems to have come on all of a sudden.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I think I would get a second opinion from another vet. The fact that she is still urinating blood is concerning to me..... and the response of the first vet has me scratching my head. Not sure I understand the rationale behind his statements.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts