Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been browsing all the threads on what everyone feeds their dogs and it got me confused about what I'm feeding my puppy.

Emma is 4 months old (an estimate, she was adopted, she might be younger) and about 21 lbs. From what I can tell from another thread, this is a little smaller then most pups at this stage, but she looks healthy, so I'm not complaining.

She has been itching and scratching so much since I've had her that I took her to the vet, who gave her Cephalexin pills and told her to take an antihistamine for her itching. She also had an ear infection, which we cleared up with drops.

I'm feeding her Science Diet Large Breed Puppy (which my vet recommended), and I'm wondering if I should make the switch to another food.

Should I switch? And if so, to what food!? I'm hoping to get her to stop scratching and keep her as healthy and happy as possible.

·
Chantilly Goldens
3,381 Posts
That food contains chicken, corn, wheat etc. all things she could very well be allergic to I would try to switch as well. I would switch to something not chicken (Lamb or fish) and something grain free and see if that clears it up. Acana makes great grain free foods - Acana Grasslands is the Lamb and Acana Pacifica is the fish. They are not as high in protein and are a very very good quality food. They probably cost the same if not less then the Vet food. On the Acana website is a store locating tool. I see your in sunny FL there should be a few places near you to get it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I'd also recommend California Natural or Healthwise. They are both formulated for dogs with allergies and have limited ingredients. Relatively affordable in most places.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'd also recommend California Natural or Healthwise. They are both formulated for dogs with allergies and have limited ingredients. Relatively affordable in most places.
Definitely would move away from the Hills and second Bock's suggestion. Both CN and Healthwise are by a quality company and offer puppy and other formulas that contain limited, low allergen ingredients). Acana also makes a great food, but with several ingredients, can make it difficult in weeding out allergies.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
YES, make a switch. I am a big fan of Fromm foods (www.frommfamily.com). Real quality food from a family owned long time manufacturer. I get 30 lb of the 4 star duck for $45. It's also an all stage food, which means from pup to senior. I use it for my AIHA springer who doesn't do well on the grain free, and for my senior aussie.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to give her new antihistamine a little bit more time, but then I'm going to slowly start the switch to one of the recommended foods above.

The vet wants to start her on a food trial if her itch doesn't clear, but I would prefer doing a food switch first, then food trial as a last ditch effort.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
That food contains chicken, corn, wheat etc. all things she could very well be allergic to I would try to switch as well. I would switch to something not chicken (Lamb or fish) and something grain free and see if that clears it up. Acana makes great grain free foods - Acana Grasslands is the Lamb and Acana Pacifica is the fish. They are not as high in protein and are a very very good quality food. They probably cost the same if not less then the Vet food. On the Acana website is a store locating tool. I see your in sunny FL there should be a few places near you to get it. Good luck.[/QUOTE

You can also order the Acana online from www.pawschoice.com with super cheap (or free) shipping depending on how much you order. Also, no sales tax.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Another Fromm supporter here too. They make a large breed puppy formula too. Good quality ingredients & they make their own food, not farmed out to another company. Price s fairly reasonable & I use less of it than I had t use of other foods.

I looked up my girls weight at 4 months. She was very close to the same weight. It is better for them to grow at a slow steady pace. Gaining about 1 to 1 1/2 pounds a week. My girl is 8 months now & only 40 pounds. As long as she is gaining, seems energetic & doesn't look too thin, don't worry about it.

I would recommend a better food. No corn. I have been told that vets get different kickbacks for selling certain foods. I have also been told the same about some breeders. Coupons they give will kick back to them if you use them. NOw I am sure this is not true of all breeders or vets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts