Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I posted about switching Belle to Wellness food.

At the time I posted this she was on Science Diet Adult Light due to some serious health issues. When all of this passed we knew we wanted to change her food for several reasons, but one of the main ones being that she was pooping at least 4 times a day on the SD.

We switched to the Wellness Core Reduced Fat due to the high fiber low fat nature of the food which we wanted to keep her on. Due to the higher protein level in the Core we are actually mixing 2 Wellness formulas to get a more moderate level.

Each meal she gets:
3/4 cup Wellness Core Reduced Fat
1/2 cup Wellness Super 5 Mix Healthy Weight
1/2 can no salt green beans

She is doing well, very healthy, and spunky as can be.

We are still having one issue that I thought I would run by everyone. She is still pooping 3 - 4 times per day. They are still pretty solid, but I was thinking ditching the corn and gluten when we moved from Science Diet to Wellness would decrease the number of poops...and it has a little, but not much.

My question is - could her continued higher number of poops be from:
1) the green beans
2) the higher fiber in low fat foods
3) the grain in the Super 5 as it is not grain free
4) we are feeding her too much

Or anything else I am missing....please feel free to be honest - you will not hurt my feelings.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jennifer

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
That sounds like alot of food at each meal. I would cut back to one cup at each meal and add the green beans to see how she does.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I agree with Carol. That really is a lot of food. I would strongly suggest cutting back and you should seen a decrease in bowel movements.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. Any recommendation on if we cut back on the Core or the Super 5 with the grains in it?

·
Debbie
644 Posts
I couldn't find in your post how old your dog is so I am unsure if the amount you're feeding is correct. I can tell you what we did with our pup, Riley and maybe that will help. When we brought Riley home she was on Eukanuba. We made the gradual switch to Wellness Super 5. She did well on that. Then I had the bright idea to try to save money and switched (gradually) her to Chicken Soup. Her poops became soft and then liquid. Switched her back to Wellness with no improvement. The lady at the holistic food store urged me to try Acana (33% protein, about the same as Core). We switched her cold turkey (cause her poops couldn't get any worse). From the first feeding her poops firmed up and we haven't had a problem since. She is 7 months old and gets about 3 cups a day. She poops about 3 times a day.

We have an adult dog (13 years old) and we switched her to Acana also. She eats 2 cups a day. She is eating less of the Acana (vs. Chicken Soup)and she poops twice a day.

Have you thought about feeding strictly Core and cutting out the other stuff?

On a side note: we give both dogs small amounts (maybe a bite of whatever we happen to be eating) of the fruits and veggies we have throughout the day. They get bananas, oranges, apples, and a variety of veggies and seem to do well. Occasionally I will give them a handful of frozen green beans.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I'd cut the beans. They offer no nutritive content to the dog and are essentially filler. If you're having a volume problem, they'd be the first thing I'd cut.

Also, if you're also putting a ton of fiber in there, it might be contributing to volume as well.

Why not just put her on a limited amount of a great food?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jenlaur - Sorry I did not put her age. Belle is 3 years old and about 74 lbs so she could stand to lose a couple pounds.

TK - We actually moved to a higher fiber food because Belle got sick a while back and a cause could never be 100% determined but the vet thought the amount of fat in her food contributed so we moved her to the high fiber low fat diet. When you say a limited amount of a great food do you have a recommendation?

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Jenlaur - Sorry I did not put her age. Belle is 3 years old and about 74 lbs so she could stand to lose a couple pounds.

TK - We actually moved to a higher fiber food because Belle got sick a while back and a cause could never be 100% determined but the vet thought the amount of fat in her food contributed so we moved her to the high fiber low fat diet. When you say a limited amount of a great food do you have a recommendation?
I don't really have a recommendation, 'cause I don't know the dog. I know lots of people like Wellness food, though if your vet is recommending fiber, then grain-free foods probably aren't the way to go.

We feed the dogs Eukanuba Premium Performance. They poop once or twice a day, have great coats, great muscle tone, and tons of energy. It's pretty rich, though, so I'm not sure it's for every dog.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I know Belle has had some ongoing digestive issues and I'm not sure if experiementing with your own food concoctions is wise.

I would tend to trust the vet....corn glutin or not....Science Diet may not be a bad choice. Or perhaps get under the care of a Holistic Vet if commercial foods are repulsive to you or if they don't work. Just seems like constant changes makes things soo much worse.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The high fiber low fat have really seemed to help her digestive issues. Int he Core the fiber is 6.4% and in the Super 5 the fiber is 8%. To be honest, I am fine feeding Belle whatever works whether it is Science Diet or something else, corn, no corn, etc. It was just the pooping 4-6 times a day on the Science Diet was just crazy. It was like I had a puppy again who would wake me up at night to poop and she couldn't help it.

So far she is doing great on the Wellness stomach wise, etc and the pooping is less, just still a few more times a day than preferred.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
The high fiber low fat have really seemed to help her digestive issues. Int he Core the fiber is 6.4% and in the Super 5 the fiber is 8%. To be honest, I am fine feeding Belle whatever works whether it is Science Diet or something else, corn, no corn, etc. It was just the pooping 4-6 times a day on the Science Diet was just crazy. It was like I had a puppy again who would wake me up at night to poop and she couldn't help it.

So far she is doing great on the Wellness stomach wise, etc and the pooping is less, just still a few more times a day than preferred.
I think any high fiber diet will create more poop. That SD Light was...almost all fiber from looking at the ingredients.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I would cut out the green beens, then cut back on the kibble a bit. If she needs to loose a few pounds, she is eating quite a bit there. If you are concerned about her health do each change slowly, like reduce the green beens till they're gone, then reduce the kibble a bit too.

Lana

1 - 12 of 12 Posts