Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 month old Golden Brodi has food allergies... He has a couple of hot spots. Right now he is on Biljac but my vet suggested Royal Cainine. Brodi will not eat this food at all (even tried adding food gravy). He will eat other foods if I give it to him. My question is: do i move him to a raw diet???? or is there another food out there that is a fish and venice that I can try??

Attachments

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I wouldn't feed either of those. You can try Blue Buffalo or Nature's Recipe (if money is a concern) both readily available at Petsmart. Blue has a fish formula, and a grain free formula.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Natural Balance has a fish formula and venison formula that are grain free.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We have a golden with a corn allergy (confirmed by allergy testing). He would get constant yeast infections in his ears. We started him on California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato a couple of months ago and we haven't had a single problem since and his ears have cleared up 100%.

Has your vet done actual allergy testing to identify that there is, in fact, an allergy present? It could be anything from a food allergy to something that is totally environmental. I highly recommend having allergy testing done by your vet if you haven't already. Otherwise, it's going to be a huge guessing game.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My vet said we can only do process of elimination. So we are taking him off grain and other things that are in normal dog foods. He said no treats or table scraps during this time period either.

I Put Brodi on Natural Balance's Sweet Potato and Fish dog food. It has no corn, soy, wheat, rice, eggs, or dairy products and a different protein source

Thanks for all the help!! I will let you know how Brodi responds to his new food

Anybody know of a good treat I can give him after we figure this all out?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts