Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit here, but I'm starting to worry about Shiloh's eating habits.

For anyone who hasn't been following Shiloh's story, we brought her home at 8 weeks and she promptly became sick. She was already grossly undersized (2lbs 13oz at 8 weeks!) and to make a long story short has struggled with both coccidia and giardia in the two weeks we've had her, and likely most of her little life before we brought her home.

She is 10 weeks old today. And though she had reason to have food issues early on, she seems to be plenty hungry now. The trouble is she will eat anything BUT her dog food and dog treats! She eats bugs and slugs and cat poop (yuck!!!) and moths and every.single.crumb she can find on the floor. But I fill up her bowl with lovely kibble PLUS meaty, gravy covered chunky canned food (the good stuff, from what we can tell) and she mostly turns her nose up. Even when I douse it in goat's milk she just laps up the milk and leaves the kibble.

She will eat it when she is hungry enough, but it seems like she is getting less and less interested, rather than getting more interested as she recovers. I keep trying to entice her with things like srambled egg mixed into it and even some ground lamb today. I don't want her to be picky and spoiled, but the poor girl still only weighs five pounds at 10 weeks and I just want her to eat SOMEthing! She is growing, but is still so skinny and small! Maybe it's too early to worry. Will she get a normal, healthy appetite when all the giardia and coccidia are cleared up? Am I worrying too soon?

Also, what kind of training treats do you all recommend? She also turns her nose up at the lovely organic, natural training treats we bought her. She does like teeny tiny bits of beef jerky a lot, but I suspect that's not the healthiest way to go. Any healthy and foolproof suggestions for training treats? She is so darn picky!

Thank you!

And here is a pic - Shiloh with our youngest daughter, 2 1/2.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
If she isnt eating I would make her brown rice with boiled hamburger see if she eats that. if she does then I would give her that a few days and slowly add in some her kibble that you have soaked until it and soft. If she continues to eat that well then I would mix in some dry kibble not alot to get her eating that and then everyday add more dry kibble to the mix decreasing the rice and hamburger mix.
This is what did for the last pup we had here that had parvo and went off her food. It was about 10days I think we had her back on kibble. It might have been longer hard to remember as it was almost 12years ago now.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
My 10 week old puppy Ella has been eating her kibble fine but she doesn't eat it all. Are you leaving it out for Shiloh or are you only giving her a set amount of time to eat? For Ella I'll leave her food out for maybe a half hour and then I pick it up. My friend did this with her dog. If they know it's not going to be there all day they have more of a tendency to eat knowing its not readily available. Ella seemed to figure it out quick and eats the majority of her food. I'm also in the process of changing her to a different food because I wasn't big on what the breeder was feeding her so I'm gradually mixing in more of the new food.

The sheltie I had before had stomach problems and he was a very picky eater when it came to dog food. If he was having issues we would feed him the cooked hamburger with rice and he would normally eat that, but he also loved human food.

For treats I've been giving Ella the Wellness Puppy Treats. She chomps them right down.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
At this point I wouldn't worry about her picky and spoiled the priority is to get her to eat something that is good for her. It could be that the dog food is too hard on her stomach, hard for her to chew, or that she is associating the dog food with feeling ill. Suggest foregoing the dog food, for now, try her on a bland diet of boiled chicken (or hamburger) and white rice, (or potato), if she goes for it add some cooked veggies, ie: carrots, green beans, try her on the prepared/pureed baby food with meat.
If you haven't perhaps try a different kind/brand of dog food, and/or try soaking the kibble in warm water for 5 - 10 minutes before giving it to her. I have had starving foster pups refuse to eat brand A but gobble down Brand B, have also used a nutrient paste from my vet for my fosters who were not doing well, called Pro-gut, and it really helped to get them on the right track. Giving a little plain yogurt can help to sooth upset stomach as well.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At this point I wouldn't worry about her picky and spoiled the priority is to get her to eat something that is good for her. It could be that the dog food is too hard on her stomach, hard for her to chew, or that she is associating the dog food with feeling ill. Suggest foregoing the dog food, for now, try her on a bland diet of boiled chicken (or hamburger) and white rice, (or potato), if she goes for it add some cooked veggies, ie: carrots, green beans, try her on the prepared/pureed baby food with meat.
If you haven't perhaps try a different kind/brand of dog food, and/or try soaking the kibble in warm water for 5 - 10 minutes before giving it to her. I have had starving foster pups refuse to eat brand A but gobble down Brand B, have also used a nutrient paste from my vet for my fosters who were not doing well, called Pro-gut, and it really helped to get them on the right track. Giving a little plain yogurt can help to sooth upset stomach as well.
I'm a little worried about switching her around too terribly much. We already switched kibble from what the breeder used, and have added lots of goodies to entice her to eat it (rice, meat, eggs, goat's milk). I don't want to keep her on a food she doesn't like, but I have also heard it's not good for them to jump around too much. With all her tummy troubles I don't want to cause more problems. But at the same time, if she won't eat then that's a pretty big problem in itself. How much switching is two much? Two kibbles in two weeks, plus the extras. Is that too much? Can I try more so soon?

Maybe I'll just try lots of ground meat and rice for now (can't be too hard on her tummy...) and add in our existing food when she seems ready.

BTW, she hates softened kibble. She'll eat it crunchy and fresh with soft food mixed into it, but once the kibble itself is softened she completely disregards it.

Total dog food snob. How can she seem so hungry and not eat all the wonderful food I'm trying to offer her? If she weren't so underweight I'd totally just plop her food down and let her eat it or go hungry until she does. That's how it works with the kiddos. I'm no short order cook for them - if they're hungry they can eat whatever Mama puts on the table. But this pup has me wrapped around her little finger, apparently. Lol!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts