Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help! I'm flying my golden retriever with me to San Francisco, CA in September. I need information with anything possible. I never did this before and I'm scared of how everything will go. I want my dog safe and sound. Did anyone fly with their dogs before? I've went on google to search for it but I still don't understand that well.. Probably because I'm nervous and I need someone with experience, not just telling me a blab of this and then a blab of that. I need to know how big of a kennel I need. I was thinking a kennel from here, Airline Dog Crates | Airline Approved Pet Carriers, Sky Kennel Pet Crate
a size large. My golden's around 80 something pounds. He has short legs but stocky.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Is this a vacation? Or are you moving there? I know many members would NOT fly their golden out for a vacation.. I would personally kennel my dog instead of risking his/her life on a plane. Dogs die all the time from the stress of plane rides.. they escape.. its just very traumatizing for them.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
My Yorkies can fly in cabin so they could go on quick trips with me. I personally would not fly a dog in cargo. When I go to see my dad in Nashville, TN I drive.

My dogs go with me on vacation so I generally drive.

Could you drive the trip? Or leave your guy with someone else if it is only for vacation?

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
If you are moving, I'd highly recommend driving it. You remain in control - of bathroom breaks, of eating, of temperature control. Sure it takes a bit longer, but it is worth it. Flying dogs in cargo is such a huge risk. I wouldn't do it.

If it's vacation - I'd leave him home.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I retired from the FTA (31 yrs.) No way would I fly my dog in cargo. Pressure drops, drastic temp. changes, stress from the other animals to name a few. What happens to your ears during take-off and landing is 10x worse for dogs. Cargo handlers at terminals are not the most caring employees either.
There are a few airlines (private) that specialize in flying pets and only pets. The fares are remarkably reasonable as well.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
I think if it is just a vacation,i would not do it, but if moving there, it might be easier than driving, as direct of a flight,as possible. One of mine, flew from west coast,to boston. All was well.

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
I think if it is just a vacation,i would not do it, but if moving there, it might be easier than driving, as direct of a flight,as possible. One of mine, flew from west coast,to boston. All was well.
I agree! I certainly wouldn't drive that far. People fly their dogs all the time and they are fine.

However no way for vacation. I wouldn't even consider that.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Me moved overseas (and back) many years ago and flew our dog over. She did fine.
Would I do it for a vacation? No. But if I were moving, rather than re-home my dog, I'd do it.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
There is an airline for pets only. They are crated but in the cabin. That's the only way I'd fly mine. Otherwise I'd drive. We just 2 of ours from Dallas to Durham NC and they did fine.

http://www.petairways.com/

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Even if I was moving cross country, I would drive rather than fly my dogs in cargo. I've just heard way too many horror stories. My husband and I drove from Washington DC to San Diego in less than 4 days, and that was even with a reasonable number of driving hours per day.. nothing crazy.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
My husband is a captain of a major airline--let's just put it this way. We will NEVER fly our dogs. He will usually tell me when he sees a dog in the cargo and 99.9% of the time the dog is shaking, frightened and very stressed out. It upsets him to see them in that condition. He was telling me about a Doberman puppy just last week that was so frightened he pooped and threw up in the crate and he had not even departed yet. That dog was taken off the flight at his insistence--he didn't want to risk the dog's life. I believe he was in San Francisco at the time.

Never ever fly a dog into a southern airport, such as ATL, DFW or MIA from late April to early October--it's too dangerous for the dog from a heat stroke perspective--on the tarmac waiting to load!

We will drive or take a very slow boat rather than flying one of our dogs, unless they can fly in the cabin with us.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I THINK IT IS LIKE MANY THINGS, WE HERE THE WORST STORIES, and not all the good ones.
I'm not quite sure what you "here" but I've seen it with my eyes......and it's truly sickening.
Are you aware that a few years back, the grand champion at Westminister escaped his crate at JFK airport? On that huge tarmac? It was a whippet and it was never found.
I could go on and on as I'm sure Dallas Gold has the same type stories.
Just the noise levels of a 747 et al is enough to forever traumatize a dog or cat.
I'd crawl with Mick before I'd ever put him in the cargo hold of a passenger jet.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I'm not quite sure what you "here" but I've seen it with my eyes......and it's truly sickening.
Are you aware that a few years back, the grand champion at Westminister escaped his crate at JFK airport? On that huge tarmac? It was a whippet and it was never found.
I could go on and on as I'm sure Dallas Gold has the same type stories.
Just the noise levels of a 747 et al is enough to forever traumatize a dog or cat.
I'd crawl with Mick before I'd ever put him in the cargo hold of a passenger jet.
I often wondered about the young puppies shipped in cargo holds and wonder if they become adult dogs with fears and phobias from the noises. I'm not aware of any studies done, but it would be interesting if someone would do a survey like that.

I flew on a flight and listened to a lab dog constantly barking in the cargo hold--we could hear it in the cabin and the owners were beyond distraught.

·
Registered
8,461 Posts
Sure there are times things go wrong, but we hear of that,not how many got to where they are going ,being fine, and i am sure they are scared,must be noisy in there. i would not fly them, if going on a vacation, that is for sure.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Sure there are times things go wrong, but we hear of that,not how many got to where they are going ,being fine, and i am sure they are scared,must be noisy in there. i would not fly them, if going on a vacation, that is for sure.
It's beyond noisy. It's either terribly hot before take-off then the temp. lowers drastically during flight. The pressure in the cabin hold also fluctuates. Then the stress of animals freaking......well unless they are drugged in to a trance. That was always fun to see. :(:mad:
Then there's the smell. A combination of jet fuel, fresh excrement and urine.......from all the crated animals. Ventilation is non-existant in cargo holds.
Nothing like traveling first class for your pets. :mad:

·
Wyatt Earp
3,595 Posts
You always hear about things that go wrong. People and the news media thrive on these things.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
You always hear about things that go wrong. People and the news media thrive on these things.
No. The only sensationalized case I posted was about the whippet that was lost at JFK.
What Dallas Gold and I were pointing out was normal conditions for pets in cargo-holds before, during and after flights.
It's called SOP. Standard Operating Procedure.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts