Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to share my travel experience with everyone. As you may know I located my puppy in Colorado and I live in Massachusetts. I had queried this board to learn the ins and outs of flying with a puppy. Jazz and Jules (their mom I suspect) gave me some great insight into the process and with that information in hand I planned and executed a very successful but exhausting trip.

I left my home at 6:00 AM EST and arrived home with puppy in hand at 2:00 AM the next day.

Here are my learnings:
  • The airline will only carry 1-2 pets per cabin. You must make advance reservations. The cost to add a pet one way on United was $100.00. You must pay this fee at the check in counter on your return flight when you have your puppy. The airline requires a specific size carrier as well as a health certificate.
  • I spoke to several airline employees who reinforced my decision to carry the puppy on board with me. They said the cargo area is heat and cold sensitive, pitch black and very noisy. Several dogs have come of the jet shaking in terror.
  • The puppy went right to sleep in the bag on the floor of the jet. He did not make a peep the whole trip. The flight attendant told me I could not take him out of the bag or unzip the bag.
  • The puppy attracted massive attention in the airport and had made several friends along the way. These new friends helped me carry the extra food and toys that were delivered along with the puppy.
  • We flew in the first class cabin so I could get a meal and have plenty of room. This was a nice luxury as we had connecting flights and it made going through security and boarding much easier.
  • The puppy is heavy. He was about 18 lbs and carrying him along with him belongings was hard so prepare for that weight.
The day was very long but I am happy to have a healthy and happy puppy. I would not ship a puppy if you can afford or avoid it.

Thanks again to all of you who helped me with great information along the way.

Deb Vertebrate Dog Mammal Canidae Dog breed

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Great Information - really glad you posted it in such detail....what a sweet picture!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where did Wally come from?

Wallace came from Eckert Colorado. I flew through Denver into Grand Junction Coloradon. Glacier Goldens is the name of the breeder. He kept 3 of the 6 puppies in the litter himself. He is a vet and has 12 other Goldens that all sleep in his bedroom (off the bed unless his wife is traveling). I am sure we will see Wally's siblings in the show ring. I can't wait to follow their progress.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.