Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we stopped at a pet store (NOT buying, just puppy admiring) and there was a darling golden baby girl. As I stood there just admiring her, the salesperson was right on it - took her out of the cage and put her in a playroom for me to interact. Oh I felt bad knowing this little pup was going to have fun for just a few minutes and then have to go back in her cage.

But while I was playing with her, I couldn't help but admire her very very full and fluffy coat. She was like a cotton ball with legs. Her age was just over 8 weeks, just a bit older than Duffy was when we got him. But his coat was short and never fluffy like hers.

So then I began to wonder - is there a relationship between them having a very very fluffy puppy coat and a fuller adult coat? Will Duffy be doomed to a short adult coat?

What is your experience with puppy coats and how they turned out as adults?

Of course we love Duffy, short or long coat, but I'm just curious. Right now he is 14 weeks old and has a lovely smooth coat and just beginning to feather.

Kris

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Goldens go through so many coat changes that it's almost impossible to tell what the adult coat will be like just from the puppy fuzz. Some puppies are fluffier than others, but that all has to do with genetics. As soon as he blows that puppy fuzz, you might start to think that you have a lab, but then the feathering will gradually start to come in. You might be able to get a general idea of what the adult coat will look like from the parents as well as other dogs in the lines. Our 17-month-old isn't even close to having his full adult coat yet. His saddle area between his shoulders has really filled in quite a bit as well as his chest, but the rest of him is still catching up and he has "racing stripes" of undercoat still showing.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Shanks was a fluff ball when he was really young but now (13 months) he has a short coat, apart from his main, hes the spitting image of his mum she had a short coat.. We know his brother and he was a fluff ball as a young puppy but now his coat is alot longer than Shankly's and his coat is more like the dads...

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting! Goldens are just amazing, aren't they? My Duffy is sooo affectionate, its like he can't get enough of me. I swear he would climb into my ear and live there if he possibly could!

Kris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting! Goldens are just amazing, aren't they? My Duffy is sooo affectionate, its like he can't get enough of me. I swear he would climb into my ear and live there if he possibly could!

Kris
Off topic I know, but, is your cat William a Ragdoll??

Mike

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I swear he would climb into my ear and live there if he possibly could!

Kris
LOL, that's one of the best descriptions of a golden's affection I've ever heard.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL, that's one of the best descriptions of a golden's affection I've ever heard.
LOL! He will climb up onto the couch next to me, and keep shoving me as though he is trying to get even closer than he is. Then he will lie across my lap, but that isn't good enough...he will climb up on the couch back BEHIND me and drape paws over my shoulders....he just keeps moving around trying and trying to get CLOSER!! Currently he is on the couch back, licking my hair :)

Kris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you...You can see the resemblance with your Blue Point....It is still Max and Sinatra's world here, we just pay for it.....

But to say they are put off with the addition of Morgan is a gross understatement.......Max is fairly tolerant, but Sinatra, the passive one of the two of them, has turned into "Cobra Kitty"........and has become very aggresive toward Morgan........An interesting dynamic, to say the least......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts