Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Florida golden pups

1144 Views 29 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Taz Monkey
I will soon be looking for Golden pup. I’m not interested in showing. Is the cost determined by show characteristics or health screenings, or both? Do you need to spend at least 1k for a beautiful, healthy golden? Does anyone publish a directory of reputable breeders. I’m in central florida.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
3,791 Posts
Sadly there are a lot of weak pedigrees, that's true.
Even "strong field pedigrees" are mediocre at best compared to what is widely available in Labs.
The gene pool is vanishing and when a good dogs do emerge it seem like they always have issues.

· Registered
2,108 Posts
Do you think we just got lucky that he turned out so well?
Maybe. Maybe not.
I have had several rescue dogs in my adult life. All were/are totally normal dogs. No weird quirks, no aggression (besides the chihuahua, but well, he's a chihuahua), just perfectly normal dogs. My sister has a one year old mill rescue golden, who lived in a barn and probably only had the company of her siblings for the first 14 weeks of her life. By all accounts, perfectly normal dog. Zero issues whatsoever. My sister also has a 5 year old completely backyard bred golden. Absolute gem of a dog. Perfect temperament. Now, I'm just focusing on temperament. Not health. Health is a crapshoot no matter what, even if you have 5 generations of good health behind your dog. Luckily, all of my dogs lived long lives, but some not without health issues. But you can definitely find a perfectly perfect golden in rescue. Otherwise, please go to an ethical breeder. Those should be your only 2 choices.

· Registered
627 Posts
Maybe. Maybe not.
I have had several rescue dogs in my adult life. All were/are totally normal dogs. No weird quirks, no aggression (besides the chihuahua, but well, he's a chihuahua), just perfectly normal dogs. My sister has a one year old mill rescue golden, who lived in a barn and probably only had the company of her siblings for the first 14 weeks of her life. By all accounts, perfectly normal dog. Zero issues whatsoever. My sister also has a 5 year old completely backyard bred golden. Absolute gem of a dog. Perfect temperament. Now, I'm just focusing on temperament. Not health. Health is a crapshoot no matter what, even if you have 5 generations of good health behind your dog. Luckily, all of my dogs lived long lives, but some not without health issues. But you can definitely find a perfectly perfect golden in rescue. Otherwise, please go to an ethical breeder. Those should be your only 2 choices.

OFA offers statistics on the probability of producing hip or elbow dysplasia based on the parent's scores. There's not a guarantee but you can absolutely stack the deck in your favor and increase the likelihood of getting a healthy dog. I have a 12.5 year old from a BYB and have 4 well bred goldens. It's heartbreaking to watch my 12.5 year old limp. The mother of my male is the same age and still floats effortlessly around the yard and ring. Temperament also has a genetic link and my BYB doesn't have anywhere close to the temperament of my well bred goldens.

· Registered
2,108 Posts
OFA offers statistics on the probability of producing hip or elbow dysplasia based on the parent's scores. There's not a guarantee but you can absolutely stack the deck in your favor and increase the likelihood of getting a healthy dog. I have a 12.5 year old from a BYB and have 4 well bred goldens. It's heartbreaking to watch my 12.5 year old limp. The mother of my male is the same age and still floats effortlessly around the yard and ring. Temperament also has a genetic link and my BYB doesn't have anywhere close to the temperament of my well bred goldens.
I was thinking the OP was talking more about temperament than health. And I was just giving my opinion that you can have a rescue dog of complete unknown origin with a perfect temperament. Which I stated clearly in my answer.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts