Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be looking for Golden pup. I’m not interested in showing. Is the cost determined by show characteristics or health screenings, or both? Do you need to spend at least 1k for a beautiful, healthy golden? Does anyone publish a directory of reputable breeders. I’m in central florida.

· Super Moderator
1,179 Posts
I will soon be looking for Golden pup. I’m not interested in showing. Is the cost determined by show characteristics or health screenings, or both? Do you need to spend at least 1k for a beautiful, healthy golden? Does anyone publish a directory of reputable breeders. I’m in central florida.
Generally, goldens from ethical breeders cost about $3,000-$4,500 currently. They will have full and verifiable health clearances, and the dogs in the pedigree will be titled in one or more venues, which demonstrates soundness of temperament, trainability, and that the dog can do what it’s bred to do. Purchasing from a show breeder does not mean you’re getting a show dog — you’re not. It just means that you’re getting the above benefits, and much more. Here is a good read on this topic: http://rufflyspeaking.net/i-dont-want-a-show-dog-i-just-want-a-pet/

For every ethical breeder, there are probably 100+ unethical breeders. Dogs from these breeders are usually either cheaper ($2,000 or less), because they aren’t clearanced or from titled pedigrees, or more expensive ($5,000+) because the breeders are doing good marketing and taking advantage of buyers. Most of these breeders are either BYBs or puppy mills, and a lot of them do a good job of masquerading as being good breeders, but don’t be fooled.

The initial cost of a golden is such a tiny fraction of the cost of ownership throughout their lives, and on average, paying less for a dog without health clearances will cost you way more in the long run. For example, surgery to correct joint dysplasia could run $10,000 or more, and dysplasia is very common in BYB/mill pedigrees that don’t health test.

Here is a list of some ethical central Florida breeders:
2018 Florida Breeder List

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Generally, goldens from ethical breeders cost about $3,000-$4,500 currently. They will have full and verifiable health clearances, and the dogs in the pedigree will be titled in one or more venues, which demonstrates soundness of temperament, trainability, and that the dog can do what it’s bred to do. Purchasing from a show breeder does not mean you’re getting a show dog — you’re not. It just means that you’re getting the above benefits, and much more. Here is a good read on this topic: I don’t want a show dog; I just want a pet.

For every ethical breeder, there are probably 100+ unethical breeders. Dogs from these breeders are usually either cheaper ($2,000 or less), because they aren’t clearanced or from titled pedigrees, or more expensive ($5,000+) because the breeders are doing good marketing and taking advantage of buyers. Most of these breeders are either BYBs or puppy mills, and a lot of them do a good job of masquerading as being good breeders, but don’t be fooled.

The initial cost of a golden is such a tiny fraction of the cost of ownership throughout their lives, and on average, paying less for a dog without health clearances will cost you way more in the long run. For example, surgery to correct joint dysplasia could run $10,000 or more, and dysplasia is very common in BYB/mill pedigrees that don’t health test.

Here is a list of some ethical central Florida breeders:
2018 Florida Breeder List
Thanks. My boy who was euthanized Thursday was adopted from Golden Retriever rescue of mid Florida, and was wonderful in every way, except for the hemangiosarcoma he developed at age 12. He was about 1 when we got him. Do you think we just got lucky that he turned out so well?

· Super Moderator
1,179 Posts
Thanks. My boy who was euthanized Thursday was adopted from Golden Retriever rescue of mid Florida, and was wonderful in every way, except for the hemangiosarcoma he developed at age 12. He was about 1 when we got him. Do you think we just got lucky that he turned out so well?
Sorry for your loss :(
Getting a dog with an unknown background who has no issues is pretty rare. I would certainly suggest rescue over a BYB or mill puppy, but it’s pretty hard to come by a golden who hasn’t been instantly adopted these days.

· Premium Member
2,758 Posts

· Registered
2,147 Posts
You'll likely need to spend $2500+ to get an ethically bred pup

· Registered
383 Posts
I'm curious now if that's a southern and costal thing? I've seen a couple of pups from stellar pedigrees become available again in the Midwest.

· Super Moderator
3,458 Posts
I'm curious now if that's a southern and costal thing? I've seen a couple of pups from stellar pedigrees become available again in the Midwest.
It depends on if you know where to look. Sometimes I have multiple litters that I can’t find puppy people for and other times I have no litters for months and dozens of people emailing me

· Registered
2,147 Posts
The lack of puppy availability and 6-8 month waitlists
Ah ok

I think it might be a regional thing. I have seen better availability in the midwest then it seems our coastal people are seeing. Might be a population thing too? More people on the coasts than in the middle?

· Registered
383 Posts
Ah ok

I think it might be a regional thing. I have seen better availability in the midwest then it seems our coastal people are seeing. Might be a population thing too? More people on the coasts than in the middle?
That's what I figure. I suppose it helps to have a good relationship with a breeder too. I kept hearing about these super long waitlists post-purchasing my first dog so when I felt ready-ish for another puppy, I reached out and said "Hey, keep me updated on what dogs x, y, and z produce over the next couple of years! I am tentatively searching for my next dog and am looking for [insert character traits here]." She responded and said she had a girl going into heat in the next couple of months and I got first pick 😅

Reactions: Hildae

· Registered
3,791 Posts
I have seen better availability in the midwest then it seems our coastal people are seeing.
I have noticed the same. I have seen a few "field line" litters with pups available and lower prices than they were a year ago. I suspect the reason is conformation people have no interest, fewer people hunting and the pedigrees are far too weak for anyone looking for a field trial or hunt test retriever.

· Registered
2,147 Posts
I have noticed the same. I have seen a few "field line" litters with pups available and lower prices than they were a year ago. I suspect the reason is conformation people have no interest, fewer people hunting and the pedigrees are far too weak for anyone looking for a field trial or hunt test retriever.
Sadly there are a lot of weak pedigrees, that's true.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts