Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Callie gets treated with Frontline Plus regularly, and just received her last treatment on Saturday (4 days ago). I did take her to the dog park prior to applying the Frontline, where she got quite up close and personal with more than a few dogs, but I didn't think anything of it, since she was on flea/tick preventative.

This morning when I was giving Callie a belly rub, I looked down and saw two black spots move across her lower stomach area. When I looked again, I noticed they were fleas....EWWW!! I immediately grabbed a comb and spent about 20 minutes combing through most of her hair, and found 4 fleas (which I immediately grabbed and flushed down the toilet) and some black speckles (which I googled and believe to be flea excretement..ecchh).

I'm planning on taking her to the groomer for a flea bath tomorrow, and pick up some Capstar (I think thats what its called) to give to her to kill the fleas that are still alive.. (I work today so unfortunately I can't treat her immediately) and have looked through some other forums regarding products on how to de-flea my home. It seems that there's a spray called Knock-Out and also sprinkling Borax on carpets and vacuuming it up will kill them as well? Any recommendations on cleaning leather sofas or tile? Will lysol wipes/spray kill them effectively? And will just washing my bedding and her bedding with normal detergent kill them as well? And do I need to spray my mattress underneath my fitted sheet as well with some lysol or other product, or are they even able to crawl through linen? She sleeps/lays in my bed ALL the time, so I can't imagine what creepy crawlies I've been sharing my bed with...:yuck: Luckily I haven't found any bites on myself yet, but just thinking about it makes me itch all over!

Any suggestions on what to do in future flea/tick preventative? Should I keep her on Frontline and just be very quick to give her a bath as soon as we get back from the dog park? Or should I switch medications? Thanks!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Callie gets treated with Frontline Plus regularly, and just received her last treatment on Saturday (4 days ago). I did take her to the dog park prior to applying the Frontline, where she got quite up close and personal with more than a few dogs, but I didn't think anything of it, since she was on flea/tick preventative.

This morning when I was giving Callie a belly rub, I looked down and saw two black spots move across her lower stomach area. When I looked again, I noticed they were fleas....EWWW!! I immediately grabbed a comb and spent about 20 minutes combing through most of her hair, and found 4 fleas (which I immediately grabbed and flushed down the toilet) and some black speckles (which I googled and believe to be flea excretement..ecchh).

I'm planning on taking her to the groomer for a flea bath tomorrow, and pick up some Capstar (I think thats what its called) to give to her to kill the fleas that are still alive.. (I work today so unfortunately I can't treat her immediately) and have looked through some other forums regarding products on how to de-flea my home. It seems that there's a spray called Knock-Out and also sprinkling Borax on carpets and vacuuming it up will kill them as well? Any recommendations on cleaning leather sofas or tile? Will lysol wipes/spray kill them effectively? And will just washing my bedding and her bedding with normal detergent kill them as well? And do I need to spray my mattress underneath my fitted sheet as well with some lysol or other product, or are they even able to crawl through linen? She sleeps/lays in my bed ALL the time, so I can't imagine what creepy crawlies I've been sharing my bed with...:yuck: Luckily I haven't found any bites on myself yet, but just thinking about it makes me itch all over!

Any suggestions on what to do in future flea/tick preventative? Should I keep her on Frontline and just be very quick to give her a bath as soon as we get back from the dog park? Or should I switch medications? Thanks!
Try Eqyss Marigold Spray. I have not used it myself yet, but I will next summer. I use Eqyss MicroTek shampoo & spray with excellent results. I buy Eqyss products from the local tack shop. They carry a large inventory of Marigold Spray because it is so popular with the horse people around here.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
The capstar should kill any remainng on her. Washing her bedding will take care of any in her bedding or yours and will get rid of the eggs. The borax can be used on the carpets, sprinkle it on and let sit for 1 day and then vacuum up. Use your vacuum to get between the sofa cushions. Since it is leather they shouldnt be able to hide in them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts