Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have over 20 inches of snow outside and Charlie has fleas? :doh::confused: I didn't think they got fleas in the winter?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
There could have been a small number around for a while...there coudl have been eggs hiding somewhere inside.

Good luck!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
are you in an area where mice come in your house during the winter? Mice can bring in fleas.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
You can sprinkle Borax (get it on the laundry aisle at the grocery store) on your carpets. Then use a broom to work it in. Leave it down for a day or two and then vacuum. Do that every 3-4 days for a couple of weeks and that should take care of the fleas in the carpets. I would also get some Capstar and give that to Charlie. Capstar immediately starts killing the fleas on the animal and works for up to 24 hours.

We have fleas year round down here. Though I have been able, so far, to skip the February dose of Frontline Plus because it's been cold and snowy down here, too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can sprinkle Borax (get it on the laundry aisle at the grocery store) on your carpets. Then use a broom to work it in. Leave it down for a day or two and then vacuum. Do that every 3-4 days for a couple of weeks and that should take care of the fleas in the carpets. I would also get some Capstar and give that to Charlie. Capstar immediately starts killing the fleas on the animal and works for up to 24 hours.

We have fleas year round down here. Though I have been able, so far, to skip the February dose of Frontline Plus because it's been cold and snowy down here, too.
thanks for the advice, I'll have to try that! What is Capstar? I've never heard of that?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Capstar is an oral tablet that kills all adult fleas on the dog. It starts working within 30 minutes and only works for 24 hours. It provides fast relief, but not long lasting.

You can definitely see fleas in the winter. Your pup may have had a very small infestation since fall and now it's just gotten big enough that you are seeing the fleas. Or he could have gotten them from wild rabbits or other animals.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts