Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Shiloh is 13 months old. She has had some fleas so we treat her with the topical flea drops. She has had food issues in the past but tolerates her Merrick turkey grain free food well as far as I know.

She is itching and chewing like mad. Really constantly. She scratches with her back legs up at her shoulders and neck a good bit, but the worst is around her tail and back legs where she chews all the time. And I just realized today that her fur is falling out along her back legs - the pretty long feathering on her haunches. I looked around there and now that the fur is so thin I can really see how raw and irritated her skin is there. Lots of small scabbed areas from chewing on herself.

How can you tell if it's just fleas, or a food allergy? Or can she have a flea allergy the flea drops don't seem to even work. Is it because she gets wet all the time? Is it something else? Could she react taut badly to shampoo or something? I don't know where to start. I'd love some been there done that advice with constant chewing and hair falling out. I hope I can figure out what is going on soon!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think it's flea allergies. The more I look, the more I think her flea drops are not working and she's reacting to the flea bites, and possibly her own over active licking. She has hardly any fur left on her haunches! Two weeks ago she was fine. I am taking her in tomorrow. I'm starting to suspect a secondary infection in addition to flea allergies.

Off to skim the forum for flea advice from others...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vet confirmed our suspicions. Shiloh has an allergy to fleas and a secondary infection from gnawing on herself so much. Some prednisone and an antibiotic, plus a different flea treatment that will hopefully endure her continual exposure to water. Hope we can get this under control! It's so sad to see her beautiful fur falling out all over. :(

·
Bernie and Oliver's Mom
1,123 Posts
I'm so sorry your poor baby is dealing with this. Itchyness is no fun, it must be so uncomfortable for her. Happy you have figured it out. Hopefully she'll be feeling relief soon!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts