Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that live in areas where it actually gets cold during the winter, do you continue to treat your animals with flea and tick drops?

Here in northern Nebraska, the ticks are pretty much gone by this time of year and fleas aren't a major problem. I was planning on treating Kylee one more time and then just keeping the rest until early spring and starting up again.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I am very careful about the chemicals I put on my dogs and hate using them at all. However, I do so very sparingly and never in winter. They do get bathed every week which helps too.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
It depends on what type of winter we have. If it is mild, we have to keep them on it year 'round. Otherwise I try to stop using it in Oct/Nov and not start back up until about March/April.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I use Frontline and like to do one final dose in October then no more till May or June when I will go back to the once a month treatment. I think the late Fall dose is probably the most important when the fleas might be looking for a cozy place to spend the winter months.:D

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Ticks seem to be a real problem here, fleas not so much. So while I hate using the chemicals I do use them until we get a couple of truly cold days. Then, nothing til spring - unfortunately we usually see the nasty little critters as early as April.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I have gone all summer with no flea or tick treatment. I have not ever seen a tick on my dogs and there has not been a flea all summer. But, we are not an outdoorsy family, so that might have a lot to do with it. If we spent a lot of time outside I would definitely need it. Don't get me wrong. I am all for Frontline or Advantage, I have it all in my cabinet, but I haven't needed it once, so I figure I'll save it.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everybody. I'm not sure I'll give another application at this point. I haven't seen a tick since early august, and fleas aren't an issue in this area. I'll probably just hold off until April or May depending on the weather. It's already getting down in the mid 30s at night here.

·
Tucker - Tanner - Cooper
1,624 Posts
I give frontline from about April/May to late October/November. Not during the winter months, saves money and here in Ohio we usualy get a good winter cold snap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts