Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

We live in Wisconsin. I was wondering what the thinking is on flea & tick. All Year? Part of the year? Then getting from vet vs online. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Bear and I would appreciate it

Colleen

·
old but new
711 Posts
I think its up to you. I think it may be a split between those whom use it all year round...and those who start in spring and stop after the first or second freeze! I would be one that only uses it spring til 2nd freeze! However, I live in a colder area then say.....someone who would live in Cali or Arizona! Its your choice...see what your vet thinks. :)

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
In CT, I've started using it all year round. It only takes one or two days above freezing and the ticks are out and about. We found eight on Comet at the end of February on the first warm day. With southern CT as ground zero for some of the nastiest infections, the risk of the pesticide is better than the certainty of infections.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I'm in mid Maine and I just use it May to October here. We don't have much of a tick problem in my portion of the state but just an hour or two south of me there is a real tick problem so I would extend my season if I lived down there.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I am at south,and using only from April to October. I am buying from web.Doctor Foster and Smith K-9 advantage
www.drsfostersmith.com they have a free shipment on this stuff.My vet much more expensive.

·
Registered
10,488 Posts
I usually do March through November, but even at that, two of mine have had Lyme disease. Although I do think that they picked it up during the summer.

And I buy mine online. I check prices and shipping at Foster&Smith, Revival, KVvet.com and petedge.com. I usually check one of the Australian suppliers as well. I have been using Advantix instead of Frontline.

·
Registered
10,488 Posts
I just tell them where I buy it and for how much. One of my old vets would match it but the new ones don't. I used to do that with heartworm medication too, until I started using ivermectin. Now one of my vets even mixes up the ivermectin for me if I want, especially for the little dogs.

·
Retired bum..........
1,105 Posts
The flea and tick meds don't require a prescription, so you can buy them wherever you want.
Except for this one. Mine swims a lot during the summer and Advantix just didn't do the job. This one works great and I can let her swim as much as she wants and not worry about the topical kind washing off. A little cheaper too, but doesn't protect against ticks.

http://www.comfortis4dogs.com/

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I use all year, Virginia, and purchase via the vet which was nice because as Noah gained weight I could buy single doses or multiple. They even took back my unused items when Noah had a growing spree.

Like others have said it only takes a few warm days for these critters to come out. We found tics in Nov/Dec in VA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts