Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boomer is a 14 months old unneutered male and has been on Bravectco since ownership, March 2017. I'm not a great fan of medications and because he has no ticks nor fleas, I am not necesaarily attributing this to the medication IMO. He is bathed regularly, his environment is excellent, private home, groomed lawn and insect treated to run, and walked daily for over 3 miles. I'm thinking, for no particular reason of quitting the Bravectco, but a nagging thought keeps popping into my mind that I'm doing wrong. Flea collars e.g. Bayers, can't remember the name, just another version of a medication.

Anyone gone alternate routes hat are more homeopathic or anything different than medication?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I'd be care with homeopathic routes. Specifically if you plan to skip heartworm and tick preventatives. We prefer Revolution because it's a topical. I've heard some people use diamataceous earth in their dogs food to prevent fleas, not sure if it really works for mosquitoes.

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,654 Posts
A lot of it depends on where you live as to what products work best for you.

I see you're in FL, I live on the NC Coast. Fleas and mosquitoes are god awful here, I've never had much of a problem with ticks in the 20+ years I've lived here. HW is very prevalent in my area, there are a lot of reported cases every year. HW is not something you want to mess with it, the treatment for HW is very harsh, the chemicals used to kill HW is very toxic and it's expensive. I don't think it's worth putting your dog's life at risk by not giving them a monthly preventative which is inexpensive in comparison to the cost of treatment.

If it were me, I'd discuss your options with your Vet, they know the area where you live, how bad HW, fleas/ticks, the risk of not giving your dog a preventative as well as what works best.

I will say that I have tried every topical flea treatment on the market along with the Seresto collar without any success. I give my boy Nexgard and it's working great.

I would caution you on the use of Natural or Homeopathic products, they don't do what they claim to do and IMO you're putting your dog's life, health, well being at risk if you use them especially with HW prevention. Dogs can get Lyme disease from ticks, it too can be life threatening.

Keep this in mind when you are making your decision as to which products to use.
Again, I recommend talking to your Vet about which products to use.

This map shows HW cases throughout the US during various years-

https://www.heartwormsociety.org/pet-owner-resources/incidence-maps

Info on Lyme disease-

https://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/resources/cases-a-other-statistics

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
Brisby is under the care of a homeopathic DVM and we never have used any flea/tick/heartworm "preventatives. We hike in the bush almost 365 year, are and have been flea free and typically have a couple of ticks attach each summer.

What I do is feed a raw species appropriate complete diet and add natural yeast and fresh garlic daily. We use a natural essential oil spray as a replellant, plus a few drops of rose geranium oil and tea tree on her harness ( never on skin). I check her completely when we get back from the bush for tick nymphs with slicker brush and flea comb; also check her in the summer months continually in case I have missed any tick nymphs and on the odd occasion I have. If I find a tick attached, I remove it asap and schedule to have a SNAP 4Dx run 4 - 6 weeks afterward to ensure the tick was not carrying any tick borne disease. In fact I just had one run on Dec. 22nd as she had a tick attach in November. I have heartworm blood test run every April as recommended as our mosquito season is relatively short.

You live in a different climate therefore I suggest that if you are looking to go a more natural and/or homeopathic route that you consult with a homeopathic DVM in your area for the best and recommended protocol to keep your pup healthy and safe.

Here is a list of certified homeopathic DVMs in Florida. I'm not sure if any of them are near you, however many will do phone consultations:
Referrals | Pitcairn Education Programs

Reactions: jnmarr
1 - 4 of 4 Posts