Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
HALSEY'S SOUL
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a generalized question rather than a specific product itself. Which is safer to give your dog (or cat for that matter) ,TOPICAL or ORAL flea and tic medicines. I've used topical forever but have come across some sources (some professionals ) indicating topical may be more of an irritant even if used properly.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I’ve always used topical but the last application of k9 advantix ii on my 8 month old resulted in extreme irritation. The skin over his back was twitching on and off involuntarily for a couple days and it took about two week before I could tell it wasn’t bothering him anymore. Needless to say I’m switching to oral with him starting this month. My previous golden had no issues with the topical.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,776 Posts
You can visit the website of any of the Flea/tick products to view the side effects and risks or talk to your Vet. Your Vet will be able to tell you which products work the best in your area.

I use Nexgard because topicals just don't work in my area. I have tried numerous topicals and even the Seresto collar, no luck. Nexgard works great for my guy.

One thing to keep in mind. any medication you use on or give your dog has risks and side effects.
I never give HW preventative or the Nexgard on the same days. I do HW meds on the 1st of each month, Nexgard on the 15th. I also keep my guy on HW year round, we don't normally get enough hard freezes to kill the bugs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts