Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put some flea killer/repellent on Murphy tonight after finding a random flea on him yesterday. It's the liquid kind that goes down their spine. But I put it on over an hour ago, and it's still not dry. In fact it doesn't look like it's dried at all. Any idea how long it usually takes to dry? I just don't want to crawl in bed with him tonight and have wet flea killer on him.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a pic of what it looks like right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I think you are supposed to try to get it under the hair along the spine. When you do it on top like you did, it doesn't get absorbed as well. I do know that it takes some time to dry out, usually about the next day.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did get it on his spine, but for some reason the line keeps getting thicker in his fur. It looks like I just squirted it all over his back, lol. The stuff I got for the cats did that too, it just spread all over. Maybe it's because I bought the cheaper brand.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Technically you are only supposed to put it on 3-4 spots down his spine, not in a long line... and be sure to pull the fur up to really get the liquid down on his skin, not on top of the fur. It will take some time to try, but even after it's dry it can have a greasy look to it. Definitely do not bathe him or let him get wet for 48 hours or it will just wash off.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
It always looks like a oily mess on our crew even when very careful to part the hair and apply to skin..... plus I always worry about the toxicity of touching it... having it rub off on furniture, bedding etc. I use as sparingly as possible for that exact reason.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The directions on the box said to run it in a line down his back, I wasn't going to do that, but I figured it would be ok. Guess I was wrong. Next time I won't put it in a line.

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
I bought the cheaper stuff once, it was greasy and messy compared to Frontline. There was more liquid so it went everywhere even though I was careful. Never again!

These days I'm using Comfortis. It's a chewable tab. No muss, no fuss!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I use Frontline and even that leaves a oily-looking wet spot on Hank's shoulders. I aways dry to time the application when my granddaughter isn't here, she likes to hug Hank and I don't want that stuff on her skin.

The Frontline must be more concentrate as I don't run it down his back, I just apply it in one spot between his shoulder blades.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I bought the cheaper stuff once, it was greasy and messy compared to Frontline. There was more liquid so it went everywhere even though I was careful. Never again!

These days I'm using Comfortis. It's a chewable tab. No muss, no fuss!

Do you get it (Confortis) from the vet? I've never heard of it but would love an alternative to the greasy mess that the others cause.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should I wait 48 hours before giving him a bath? The box doesn't say, but he's still pretty greasy. It's pretty gross.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
It can be different for different ones. I would read the package insert and see what it says.

I use Advantix and I was really surprised this time that it dried really well, and by the next day you couldn't even tell I had put anything on them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For us, it took Frontline about 48 hours to really seem dry. Looked icky! But soon after that we could hardly tell it had gone on -- except no more fleas. So I'd just wait, and not bathe, thinking it'll probably get better by itself.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My wife is a groomer and we use frontline. We have used it for about 7 years now. The first day it seems to always look bad but into the second day it's dry. Frontline makes to kinds, the oil base that is applied between the shoulders and a water base that is sprayed on. My wife called the company to see if there was a difference and they told her it was the same but the application was different. The spray you use one pump for every pound and as you spray you have to work it into the dogs coat. The spray dried faster, just a couple of hours and my wife likes it better but the only draw back is the number of pumps, 95 lb dog=95 pumps. It's hard on the hands spraying that many times. I also think that it cost cheaper per dog.

We use the oil base and my wife keeps the spray at her shop to treat customers dogs that may have a flea problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts