Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello... I've recently heard conflicting views on the use of flea medication during winter months. We're in New England, and it hasn't gotten above 60 very much the past week. What are your thoughts on continuing to apply Brophy's advantix when it's pretty obvious that neither fleas nor ticks are around? Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I've heard that fleas will continue to be active until the first snow. Personally, I use my flea med (Frontline) year-around.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I'm in the Boston area and fleas are definitely still around.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I live in NC and unless we get a good hard freeze for a week, I have to use my flea meds year-round. If I lived in the northeast or midwest, I would use them until the first freeze.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I live in Ohio. This month will probably be the last until April.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I'll be totally honest when I say I only use flea meds if necessary. Like if I bring in a foster who has a particularly bad case of fleas that I didn't catch beforehand, I'll treat everyone. But in 7 years, and with 3 cats and 10+ cats at any given time, I've NEVER had a flea problem. And I've brought in some strays absolutely crawling with them with no other choice than to bring them in the house. And I never have had to do it in winter months, usually between Nov and March or April. Its just too cold in WV for fleas. But, I've been lucky I guess.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We're in Maine and our dogs will get one last dose of their flea medication at the end of this month and then that will be it until spring. We don't use it during the winter months and have never had flea problems. We usually start it back up again around the middle of March.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts