Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have never had a flea problem until this year. Frontline has stopped working or we got a bad batch. Benadryl and topicals (Vets' Best brand) only provide limited relief (read: doggie still scratching herself raw).

This is what the vet tech told me to do, I've scheduled it all for this Thursday

Get dog and our (outdoor) cat to the groomer for flea dip
Same day have pest control treat the house
Clean all soft furnishings animals have been in contact with (that's completely overwhelming!)
Pest guys arrive and do the rest.

Can this really eradicate this plague. I told dh I'd rather move (1/2 in jest).

Sigh.

Thanks everyone!

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
Sound like you are on top of it. You must have a heck of a problem. Once the dog is flea free they may still scratch for a bit until the bites heal. Try Advantix if frontline is not working.

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
Treat the yard! I bought diatomaceous earth and sprinkled it all over my yard when we had fleas. I also used it in the house on the carpet and furniture.

Comfortis is a wonderful flea control for dogs - when Frontline stopped working for my dog I switched her over to comfortis and haven't had a problem since.

Flora (my dog) also scratched and chewed herself until she bled. I bathed her almost daily in Microtek shampoo until the fleas were under control and it really helped.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys.... the only thing I really don't like about dealing with this is the pest control in the house - professionals coming in to spray, etc. I have a hard time believing this is safe ... :(

·
Kristy
9,168 Posts
Honestly, the one or two times it will take to get this under control is ok. No, it's not something you'd wish for, but it's ok. Much better than the alternative of living with fleas and all the nasty things that accompany them. You will also need to be aware that fleas spread tapeworms. You will need to keep an eye out for that if your pets haven't been treated.

I grew up in Florida and remember the absolute hell of fleas chewing my first dog, Wesley, and aggravating him and his allergies till he bled. It was just before topical flea control was readily available and I hate thinking about all the money I spent on anti biotics and different treatments for my poor boy. A friend from Europe sent me over some of the topical treatment they had available at the time and I remember thinking it was a miracle. I'm so grateful that we have methods of controlling fleas now.

I truly sympathize with what you are going through and am just so sorry. Hang in there and this will be a bad memory before you know it.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I know it is hard, but if you don't kill every flea, they could come back full force. So you must treat the house, yard, pets... everything. I hope you can get things cleared up. Also, apparently Merial is now offering to pay for flea treatments if their product (frontline) isn't working. Ours is through the vet office (and this only applies if you have bought it through your vet) so maybe they can offer some help. Or try calling the company.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
You may want to pick up some Capstar and treat for a week on that. It kills all fleas on the dog within 20 minutes but only lasts for 24 hours. It definitely works though, and works quick. This will guarantee that your dog will at least be flea free for a week or so while you work to treat the surrounding areas of your house, etc.

I agree with kdmarsh and say Comfortis has worked great for my dogs for long term flea control. It's a convenient once monthly pill and has worked great for us. My vet says she notices that fleas in this area have started to build resistance to Frontline and Advantix.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Do you know your "source" for the problem? We has some flea issues a few years ago, and it was discovered that Mom was our "carrier"---we think they were traveling in on her socks when she returned from the barn (where there were often feral cats). The vet recommended treating our "carrier" (Mom) with a flea repellent before she went to the barn. She also left her "barn shoes" on the porch and washed her socks immediately.

Also, remember that Goldens (as well as our Scotties) are prone to skin allergies and issues, so a FEW fleas can bother them as much as an infestation.

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
Nolefan brings up a great point - tapeworms. I forgot to mention those buggers. Flora got tapeworms from the fleas. They're not really dangerous to the dog as far as I am aware, but be aware of them. They look like flat grains of rice in the stool. The treatment for them is simple and relatively cheap.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Tapeworms. Now that brings back really bad memories of high school biology. All parasites creep me out. Jaro had whipworms because what we were using didn't cover them, so now I have changed meds. I don't think people get whipworms, but they do get tapeworms.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Because of the life cycle of the flea, you must treat again 3 weeks after the first treament.

Capstar is intended to be used for one day, not multiple days. It is a pesticide, so it does have side effects. I would talk to the vet before using both Capstar and a flea dip on the same day. One of my Old English Sheepdogs has permanent liver damage from flea pesticides.
Be aware that the eggs can remain in carpet, bedding, etc and will hatch when conditions are right - even months later.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Don't forget the car. If you drive with your dogs to class or Petsmart or the park or for hikes, there are probably fleas in the car as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ugh. Fleas= HELL.
I would recommend comfortis as well... I've read what other's have heard as well that fleas are starting to build up a tolerance to Frontline.
I haven't experienced it with a dog, but my two indoor cats got them from my friends dog. Flea dips, wash ALL of the bedding ( I found fleas in our bed and was so creeped out being in the house). Wash window treatments. Anything soft.
Although humans don't need to worry about it, I remember pretty much treating it like lice (I'm a hair stylist, and unfortunately came across a client who had it and, although I never got it, I went through all of the measures just to make sure). Vaccuum all surfaces and through away the vaccum bag. Also make sure to treat your car.
If I were you I would have pest control come out and treat your house. We did several bombs on the house but they were never fully effective. Save yourself the time and money and just have it done right the first time by a professional.
I feel for you right now.... and now I'm itchy too just at the thought of it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts