Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dreams come true :3
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Zeus about 3 days ago, he was 38 days old at that time so 41 days old now.
He is on a cerelac diet (2 spoon baby food/cerelac and 8 spoon water).

Today I found a tick between his toes when he was scratching so I took him to the vet immediately. He removed the tick, and showed me some specks of dusts in his fur and told me that these were flea eggs.
He gave me an anti flea spray to use in noon (it is midnight presently and Zeus is feeling slightly uneasy, very mouthy and running haphazardly)

I wanted to know if there's anything I could do besides the spray?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Hi, I'm sorry your puppy has fleas. We have more ticks than fleas in my area (NY), but I use Frontline Plus on Bentley. Ask your vet if you can use a topical treatment on your puppy, he seems very young, so there may be restrictions. People also use food grade diatomatceous earth for fleas.

The late night running and crazy behavior sounds like the "zoomies". This is a normal thing and is a good sign of a happy healthy pup. Hopefully you'll start seeing them in the early evening as opposed to late night. :) Good luck with Zeus!

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The late night running and crazy behavior sounds like the "zoomies". This is a normal thing and is a good sign of a happy healthy pup. Hopefully you'll start seeing them in the early evening as opposed to late night. :) Good luck with Zeus!
Thanks alot :) he is rather lazy compared to the other pups I've seen :p he sleeps alot, I hope I'm not allowing him too much sleep :eek:

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
For a puppy that young I don't think you can use topical, but food grade diatomatceous earth is a great product and natural. You can use it on them externally, use it on carpets, floors, etc.

Reactions: Dragonz Saga

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For a puppy that young I don't think you can use topical, but food grade diatomatceous earth is a great product and natural. You can use it on them externally, use it on carpets, floors, etc.
What is the meaning of topical?? Besides I don't think I've heard of diatomatceous earth anywhere close :eek:

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,721 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Thanks alot :) he is rather lazy compared to the other pups I've seen :p he sleeps alot, I hope I'm not allowing him too much sleep :eek:
:) He is really young, so he needs more sleep. Each week he'll be more active. And he should adjust to your schedule more as he grows, i.e. sleep at night more than day.

Also I've heard that vacuuming can really help with fleas. Try extra vacuuming and washing and drying (I think the heat kills the eggs) his bedding and blankets more until he's flea free.

Also post some pics of him, I bet he is so cute! :)

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Dawn dish soap can be used to take care of fleas. I don't think it does anything to ticks though and I'm not sure if it's effective against flea eggs. It worked great for my 6 week old pup when I brought her home infested with fleas. Make sure you use a lot of the soap and get it everywhere. Especially in the fold of the ear between the ear and the head, and also between the toes.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,721 Posts
I started to suggest the Dawn dish soap too, but wasn't sure since the OP lives in India if they have it there.

I've used it on my adults before, works good.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I'm assuming they have some kind of similar dish soap, if not Dawn. I don't know what's so special about Dawn, it's always suggested specifically but I assume most dish soaps would do the same.

·
Tom (owned by Diesel)
317 Posts
I'm not sure what products you can get, another helpful product is Pert hair Shampoo. helps keep away fleas, biting flies and Mosquitoes.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I have not had fleas on any dogs since I don't have an outdoor cat anymore (20 years).
A regular shampoo bath will bring any fleas to the surface and kill them. Vacuum and shampoo carpets. Don't put any of that poison on a young puppy. IMO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts