Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best Flea and Tick meds?
I used Nexgard the last year or so but with all the warnings about seizures, I don't want to take the risk.

Which other topical is best? We live in the country so she is in the woods a lot. And she loves to swim.

Any suggestions on what works would be great

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,782 Posts
I've never had any luck with any of the topicals, a lot of it depends on where you live. Your Vet can tell you which Flea/tick products work the best for the area you live in.

I give my boy Nexgard, he's never had any problems with it but I don't give it to him on the same day as his HW prevention.

If you're concerned about chemicals, the topicals contain chemicals too, some dogs can or have had reactions to them.

·
Registered
12,720 Posts
I agree that if Nexgard worked well for your dog, why change? All preventatives, like all meds, carry a risk of side effects. They are rare, but unfortunately, it is devastating when it happens, and people start FB groups and stuff that make it sound like all dogs die from Nexgard (or Bravecto or whatever).

If you do want to move to a topical, talk to your vet about which one is effective in your area (some do lose their effectiveness). I use Advantix II, and it is very effective, but ticks only started moving into my region of the world about 5-6 years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts