Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey gang,

For all five years of my dogs life, barring three months once or twice with a generic for Frontline TopSpot, I've been using Frontline Plus each month for my golden. Up until this summer, it's worked- he could go into high tick areas and come out with no ticks or just one or two dead or near dead ones not attached to his skin (Only one attached while I was using the project).

It held up last summer or two in my new location where the whole neighborhood is just filled with dogs and fleas (My old neighbors with dogs had flea issues and my landlord said he had to set off a half dozen "flea bombs" over a week or two's time to get rid of them after they moved out) and sometimes we walk through clouds of insects walking- a lot of people here have gardens and dogs both, and there are farms with cows and such behind the backyards of houses on both sides of the street, so you can imagine.... Meanwhile, my golden next door was flea-free.

However, this summer, it finally failed. Failed might be an exaggeration. I think it's killing the fleas eventually, but I take him on his walk through the neighborhood each afternoon, he collects the fleas, they bother him late into the night, and then when we wake up, they seem to be gone, rinse and repeat. I think the Frontline *is* working- just on a delay, and I don't want him to be bitten by fleas for most of his day each day (We are kind of late to sleep, late to rise types, so for him an afternoon walk is subjectively more like a noon walk with his circadian rhythm), which bother him a lot and bring fleas into the home, potentially.

First step was I bought him some natural flea and tick killing shampoo and bathed him. That helped for a few days, but he seemed sluggish afterwards and he hates baths, so bathing him with that stuff constantly could be an issue health wise (given the sluggishness) and life satisfaction for the dog wise (given his unhappiness with bathing in general).

*So*...

I've ordered some Advantix II through the mail, which is a different set of active ingredients that repels fleas and ticks as well as kills them if they go through. A four pack was more expensive than 3 pack of Frontline, but the amount per dose was the similar.

I figure what I'll do is give him The Advantix the next four months and then "burn off" the two extra Frontline things I have by substituting them for Advantix in two colder months (Either November/December, or January/February) when ticks are less of an issue and a lesser preventative that seemed to always work before should be okay, so I break even in the long run and use all the product I have. Does that sound okay?

Also, usually I administer the Frontline monthly on the 14th or 15th. Given the issues he's having, can I just give the Advantix when it comes? It probably won't get here until like the 7th (Hopefully sooner, but it's on slow shipping speed from petmeds), so it'd just be a week early relative to when I was giving him Frontline each month.

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,215 Posts
You may want to call your Vet and get their advice about using the Advantix II to be sure.

If it were me, I'd wait until it's time for the regular application, which would be on the 14th or 15th of the month.

In the meantime, if your dog has fleas, you can bathe him in Dawn Dish detergent, the blue kind. It does a good job on killing fleas. It may wash off the Frontline though, you may want to wait to bathe him either on the 14th or 15th before you use put the new application of Advantix II on.

You can ask your Vet about giving a Capstar tablet if the fleas are bad.

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,156 Posts
We tried the Seresto collars this year. Unfortunately, they haven't worked.

Now we're using Comfortis once-a-month pills, and they seem to be working well.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We tried the Seresto collars this year. Unfortunately, they haven't worked.
$50 for 8 months sounds attractive, maybe something to consider next summer if the Advantix struggles to do the job this year.

Now we're using Comfortis once-a-month pills, and they seem to be working well.
I thought about that, but it's out of my price range to do every month. $86+ as a continuing cost for flea and tick control alone, plus Heartworm preventative plus all his allergy meds plus vaccines and vet care plus food, treats, rawhide bones, etc... Comfortis must come down in cost, but I am keeping my eye on it. :)

This is coming down from someone who refused a tooth extraction for himself because of price and called around to find a cheaper price out of state and is waiting several weeks at risk to himself to save money, so, um, you aren't going to talk me into being less cheap. ;) I actually am less cheap with the dog than with myself, because he is my ward. But I'm poor in general, so there are limits. A one time emergency cost I can put on credit to pay off gradually is one thing, that I might do, but recurring costs need to be kept an eye on, because if they never end, you can't take on more than you can pay, because you'd just wind up bankrupt.

The other thing that looks nice is that new chewable monthly thing, my dog loves his Heartguard Plus, so the chewables for fleas and ticks would probably be right up his alley versus the stuff that must be applied, which he does not like and tries to avoid application of and then rub off. That's only a little too expensive. I really have high hopes that it'll come down in price in time for the next dog if not in my current dog's life time.

There are plenty of options in my price range, so I am going to stick to them. I had a good solution. It's only recently that it stopped being a good solution, so we're trying option #2. :)

·
Registered
8,096 Posts
We've been using the Seresto collars on both my dogs and cats for about a year. And for us it's working.

Our recent addition just got her collar in the mail yesterday. It's about $45-50 per collar at Drs Foster and smith online. Anyways, she has fleas and none of the fellas made it onto my other animals who already wore their collar. It's been on her for about 12 hours and she's already scratching less.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
What natural alternatives are there...something you can spray on the dog before a walk? I can't bring myself to put a systemic poison on or in my dog.
I would appreciated a suggestion.

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,215 Posts
What natural alternatives are there...something you can spray on the dog before a walk? I can't bring myself to put a systemic poison on or in my dog.
You can mix up a spray bottle of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar with water, about a 50/50 mixture. I use Bragg's. Spray it on your dog before going outside.

I also add OACV to my guy's water daily, 1 tsp. each time I fill it up. I use a large mixing bowl as their water dish. I keep a spray bottle of OACV and water on hand and spray it on my guys before I brush them out.

You can use the OACV as a rinse after you bathe your dog too. Let it sit on them for a few minutes, then rinse off.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I'll give it a try......although he's never had a flea or tick!!!! When bathing a blond dog they come right to the surface and any shampoo will do.
Thanks for your help.

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
I have been using:

NaturVet Brewer's Yeast & Garlic with Linoleic (5000 tables)

Tea tree oil on Brisby's collar applied daily when we go out.

We have been flea free and this year tick free. Last year I had to pull 2 ticks off Brisby. We hike in the bush everyday all year long.

Organic ACV (with mother) is also good to add to the mix, however I can't get Brisby to take it in anything.

The the Brewers yeast, you need to maintain all year long and double the dose in the warm months.

Reactions: murphy1
1 - 11 of 11 Posts